broken hd, broken pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosquiton

Cadet
Hi everyone, i know that i am a noob in this forum, but personally i've never approach to freenas enviroment till today...today one of my friend brought me a pc with a freenas system, and a pool of 4 hd where according to him, there was a wide pool all over the 4 hd, each hd has a capacity of 2tb, but the first one seems to not work anymore, the pool when i call zpool import came up with the name of the pool and a status set to unavail, but if i call zpool status it returns nothin(no pools available)...any idea? what can i try to recover data from the other 3? there's any chance to do something?
tnx to anybody

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post the output of zpool import into pastebin and provide a link please?

Also I need to know the hardware specs.

I have no clue what a "wide pool" means, but if he means 4 disk striped and one disk is bad he has lost all of his data.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If he's got 4 striped drives and no redundancy and one disk is UNAVAIL he's lost his data. It's his own fault for not using any fault-tolerance mode of ZFS, so don't feel guilty unless you set it up that way. ;)

Mosquiton

Cadet
To be honest i would never imagine something like that it would be possible till today that i red the zfs documentation, what is the clou to span data trough all this disk via software?? I ve always managed hardware raid...so is a non raid, spanned data with no redudancy, with no header and no indexing?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's totally possible to set it up that way. FreeNAS will let you do anything you want, even stupid things that will eat your data later. The expectation is that the admin won't be stupid. Sadly, too many of them are.

Mosquiton

Cadet
Thank you so much for the help, i will try anyway to do something!! I like problems!!! Now i m reading the documentation from solaris-oracle about zfs pool and so much more!! If i figure it out a solution , i will post!!! Sorry for my english but i m italian !!

Status
Not open for further replies.