Files that were on HD

jucelio_rosa

Dabbler
Goodnight. I have no experience with Truenas... I don't know much. In a company where I provide services, there was a server with a very old version of freenas. This server has 5 hds (one with the operating system and 4 for storage). I made a backup of the most used files (due to lack of hd it was not possible to back up everything), I installed Truenas on the HD where there is an operating system.
I'm still configuring Truenas, but I would like to know if it's possible to recover the data that was on the HDs and that it was not possible to back up.

c77dk

Patron
Short answer: you might be able to recover the data (depends of your setup)

what is your definition of very old? and have you made a backup of the config of the old system? Next question might be: was there encryption enabled on the pool? if yes, then pray you have a backup of the keys.

Some time ago FreeNAS used UFS instead of ZFS, and if I remember correctly the support for UFS pools have been removed. So you might need to upgrade step, by step.

jucelio_rosa

Dabbler
Short answer: you might be able to recover the data (depends of your setup)

what is your definition of very old? and have you made a backup of the config of the old system? Next question might be: was there encryption enabled on the pool? if yes, then pray you have a backup of the keys.

Some time ago FreeNAS used UFS instead of ZFS, and if I remember correctly the support for UFS pools have been removed. So you might need to upgrade step, by step.
I made a backup of the old configuration.
The old version was Freenas 9.0.

The newest versions of TrueNAS (whether Core or Scale) should be able to import older ZFS pools, assuming that you did not use GELI encryption.

This also assumes the drives are still healthy.