All my HD are Degraded...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palvati

Cadet
Hello, a FREENAS noob who just started to use it for my company to replace it's old Buffalo Linkstations

1. My company had a a few Buffalo Linkstations with 1.5GB HD x 4 in our possession that were either dying or dead.

2. I ran spinrite on the drive to weed out all the bad drive and salvaged unused Dell Optiplex 760 to run FREENAS 9.3 Stable with 8GB of RAM and it been running great for about 6 months

3. This FREENAS uses local users instead of domain users per management's decision.

On Tuesday 3/4 I got following email from my FREENAS server

"The volume SUNFS3 (ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected."

From the daily output of following day, I was informed again that health of my pool has been changed to degraded and there was 1 recoverable file.

I have followed the instruction on http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A and removed the file (well it is still in recycle bin and snaspshot backup as unrecoverable file) since it was a duplicate of same file that was 3 years old .

The problem I'm having are following

qTGTsXA.jpg

EPUjFFG.jpg

There isn't that much data on this NAS and it does not need 1.7 TB on it and I have plenty of new 500GB HD in my possession.

I do not know why state of all 4 drives have changed to Degraded. Is this something I can fix or is hard drive change is recommended. If I want to just change all the HD from 1.5GB to 500GB what is the best course of action to perform without contacting all of the local users to change their password again?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Sakuru

Guru

Palvati

Cadet
okay, I'll update my that information and check out how pastebin service works

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Code tags are easier:
upload_2016-3-10_12-2-42.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Four drives don't just magically start acting up at once independently.

At best, you have a hardware issue (bad controller, bad PSU, ...).

Worst-case (for your data), you might have bad RAM.

Palvati

Cadet
thanks Eric, I will move it to different machine with exact same hardware tomorrow. I was just starting to checkign things to remake the post

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If I want to just change all the HD from 1.5GB to 500GB what is the best course of action to perform without contacting all of the local users to change their password again?
To do this you would have to backup the data, create a new pool, then restore the data.

EDIT: and the configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.