Best way to data migrate from Buffalo to FREENAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palvati

Cadet
I have built FREENAS out of Optiplex 760 with 2 x 500GB HD to replace dying Buffalo Linkstation at my work since the hard drive needed for its raid 4 are becoming too expensive and frequent.

I was wondering what would be best method to move all the data from the Buffalo Link Station to my new FREENAS server. I'm trying to avoid moving them one folder at a time because some of the file names are extremely long and do not get copied over Windows connection system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What options does the box present? Got rsync? That'd work well.

Palvati

Cadet
tyring to find the answer, but can't
Link Station is LS-Q6.0TL/R5, its only back up option is another link station or usb and does not state protocol/service it uses

gpsguy

No guarantees, but you might try this. Normally, we don't suggest the use of USB drives for storage, though they may be okay for boot devices.

Skimming your Buffalo manual "The LinkStation’s built-in backup utility can back up files on your LinkStation to an attached USB hard drive or to another LinkStation on the local network. For best results, reformat attached USB hard drives with ext3 before use as backup storage." Bold emphasis is mine.

And, from section 8.1.5 of the FreeNAS documentation "The Volume → Import Disk screen, shown in Figure 8.1f, is used to import a single disk that has been formatted with the UFS, NTFS, MSDOS, or EXT2/3 filesystem." Note: I didn't think EXT3 was supported for import, but I'm quoting straight from the doc's.

Out of curiosity, how long are the filenames? And how deep are the directories? Generally, Windows has a limit of 260 characters the for path\filename, etc.

Palvati

Cadet
Thanks Gpsguy, I will try that. I am willing to try any method at this point

gpsguy

I'm glad to hear that the idea worked out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.