Migrating from XFS Linkstation share to my new FreeNAS box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexhore

Explorer
Just finished the install now I have 1TB of old data to drag from my old Linkstation to the new FreeNAS share can I use shell to somehow mount the remote share on the FreeNAS and copy direct. Dragging through my PC will take days and I don't have a spare 1TB to hand :(

Volume on new NAS is called NAS and I have created a folder called Old NAS to put everything in.

Volume on old NAS is called share and there are three folders bittorrent Media and Software that I want to migrate.

I think mount_smbfs would work but I'm a little fuzzy as to what to enter afterwards.

Edit, the linkstation has FTP server function but I cant see a plugin for FreeNAS to install an FTP Client...

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
The simplest thing to do is what @anodos has suggested--with the linkstation and the FreeNAS box both running, connect to both shares, and drag and drop the files over. This is also probably the slowest method, as the data will be transferred over the network to your PC, and over the network again to the FreeNAS server.

Using mount_smbfs would require messing around at the command line a bit, but should be faster as the data only crosses the network once. I just tried it briefly, and this procedure worked for me:

# mkdir /mnt/smb
# mount_smbfs -U linkstationusername //linkstationservername/share /mnt/smb

You must use the server name of the linkstation, not the IP address. Once you're done, do

# umount /mnt/smb
# rm -rf /mnt/smb

How you copy the files across is really up to you; I'd probably look at using rsync:

# rsync -arv /mnt/smb/ /mnt/NAS/Old\ NAS/

Edit: FreeNAS has ftp built in at the command line. You could, using a jail, install whatever web-based FTP client you wanted, but there doesn't seem to be a plug-in for one.

alexhore

Explorer
Sorry guys I must not have made myself clear by 'dragging through my PC' I mean what you have both suggested connecting to both and use windows to move. This has the data doubling back through the same port and cable and seems be 5-6 times slower than a direct transfer resulting in a 1or 2 day transfer.

Thanks for testing that danb35 thats perfect I'll give it a test then kick the big transfer off.

alexhore

Explorer
Well it seemed to be working but permissions were all over so I killed it and reverted to the easy (long) way. I subsequently found the option to set permissions recursively in the GUI, Doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.