Please help, unable to import pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hi All

I wanted to migrate from NAS4Free to Freenas. I installed FreeNAS on a USB stick and configured it.

First of all i tried to auto-import my zpool via the UI, but via "Auto Import Volume" a could not see my zpool in the drop-down list.

Next, on the CLI i did a "zfs import -f" (and ignored the message rewgarding the missing features and "zpool upgrade". Then i was able to see my zpool via "zfs status" but nothing was visible in the GUI.

I thought i'd restart, but after that i didn't see anything in the UI and via CLI i get:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zpool status
no pools available
[root@freenas] ~# zpool import
   pool: zpool1
     id: 13630764531810602312
  state: UNAVAIL
 action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
        devices and try again.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
 config:

zpool1                    UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          mirror-0                UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
            13073622451490040963  UNAVAIL  cannot open
            11085483439145696424  UNAVAIL  cannot open
          mirror-1                UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
            3522156715239461660   UNAVAIL  cannot open
            427873776284066062    UNAVAIL  cannot open
[root@freenas] ~#

What can i do now to import my pool? The mirror-0 vdev consisted of /dev/ada0 /dev/ada1 and the mirror-1 vdev of /dev/ada2 and /dev/ada3

Please help me :(

Cheers

Thomy

Yatti420

Wizard
That probably wasn't a good idea to migrate a nas4free pool.. Certainly not to force the matter.. I'm not sure if you will be able to recover.. You will have to wait for somebody with more recovery expertise..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh boy.. I sure hope you have backups...

Thomymaster

Contributor
What can i do now? Can somebody help me? There must be a way to import the zpool with the device names i.e. /dev/ada0 /dev/ada1....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah... that sucker isn't going to import without some magic pixie dust or something. UNAVAIL means "you are f*****".

Trying to do an import with -f was incredibly stupid. That's not something you willy-nilly do. It's a "hail-mary" pass. It will either work, or it'll make things MUCH MUCH worse.

I offer recovery services.. moving data from a damaged pool to another box right now... But I can't guarantee anything.

Thomymaster

Contributor
OK than i have learned that a NAS4Free to FreeNAS migration doesn't work. Luckily i have a backup (my backup server which holds the data in HW-RAID6). So i can create the zpool again, but here comes the next problem (see another post).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please don't take my comment that -f was stupid as a personal attack. -f is a very dangerous game. Most people see the -f parameter in the manpage and think "oh goody! this is what I need!" but it's not. It's playing with fire most of the time. :(

Thomymaster

Contributor
Yeas no problem :)

I just thought there would be a method to solve this problem with the "UNAVAIL" devices.

Take it as a lesson learned not to go from NAS4Free to FreeNAS, and don't try to do -f unless you are REALLY sure you want to do it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not easily. I've fixed one pool that had all UNAVAIL devices. But it took me like 10 hours to figure it out.

If you have a backup I'd just wipe the disks, create your pool on FreeNAS and do a restore from backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.