Volume storage (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN - zpool import fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWizzard

Dabbler
Ericloewe, I understand and accept this, but it doesn't help me much at this moment...
Besides, then I wonder why FreeNAS is still carrying the 2GB as Minimum on their website...

Anyways: any suggestions, how I can solve this problem? It is weird, that in 8.3 three disks show up and in 9.2.1.8 only two... Any idea what the cause could be?

Anodos: Thanks for your help so far. I tried hooking the drives to another machine and the same problem occurs...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ericloewe, I understand and accept this, but it doesn't help me much at this moment...
Besides, then I wonder why FreeNAS is still carrying the 2GB as Minimum on their website...

Anyways: any suggestions, how I can solve this problem? It is weird, that in 8.3 three disks show up and in 9.2.1.8 only two... Any idea what the cause could be?

Anodos: Thanks for your help so far. I tried hooking the drives to another machine and the same problem occurs...
The 2GB refers to UFS. 8GB is the minimum for ZFS. In 8.3 are you able to import the pool from the console? Boot 8.3 and post "zpool status [pool]"

gpsguy

Do what?

how do i do that?

You've already said that you were able to boot 8.3 and it found 3 of the 4 disks. Do that again.

And, try zpool import storage like you said you did in message #3. Also run zpool status storage and post your results in code tags. It will preserve the formatting.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Do what?

You've already said that you were able to boot 8.3 and it found 3 of the 4 disks. Do that again.

And, try zpool import storage like you said you did in message #3. Also run zpool status storage and post your results in code tags. It will preserve the formatting.
To explain a bit further. 8.3 gives you the best chance of recovery.
3/4 disks *may* be doable, but 2/4 disks for raidz1 is not possible..

TheWizzard

Dabbler
Sorry for my absence (was on a business trip) and thanks for all your help!

I booted 8.3 again..

Here is the output of zpool import storage:
Code:
zpool import storage                                         
cannot import 'storage': no such pool or dataset                               
        Destroy and re-create the pool from                                    
        a backup source.

here the output for zpool import
Code:
 pool: storage                                                               
     id: 7468699150851196970                                                   
  state: UNAVAIL                                                               
status: One or more devices are missing from the system.                      
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing                       
        devices and try again.                                                 
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-3C                                     
config:                                                                       

storage                                         UNAVAIL  insufficient re
plicas                                                                         
          raidz1-0                                      UNAVAIL  insufficient re
plicas                                                                         
            gptid/e30eebe4-42e1-11e2-911d-00151731a67f  ONLINE                 
            4694448216509377380                         UNAVAIL  cannot open   
            16020346307811284986                        UNAVAIL  cannot open   
            gptid/e4d80488-42e1-11e2-911d-00151731a67f  ONLINE  

here the output for status zpool storage:+
Code:
zpool status storage                                         
cannot open 'storage': no such pool  

Odd fact: the disk manager shows me still three of the four drives and shows them with Serial, Status and no S.M.A.R.T errors... But in the shell there are only two...
Besides: zdb -eh gives me the following:
Code:
zdb -eh storage                                              
zdb: can't open 'storage': File exists

Hope that helps. Again: thank you so much for your support! :)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

I was wondering where are you seeing this 2Gig memory requirement? I specifically see them call out 8Gig on their website.

http://www.freenas.org/faq/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, some website listed 2GB (which was the old minimum) and for some reason wasn't updated.

To be 100% accurate, 2GB is still the minimum if you are using UFS. But as the 9.3-BETA is literally days away from being released you'd be silly to use UFS. Its dead from FreeNAS and if your hardware can't handle ZFS you probably should find another OS to use (like NAS4Free).

TheWizzard

Dabbler
anodos: hm, not good... well, i assume there is a chance to get it back but it will be a matter of resources (money) --> i just would love to get around professional data recovery... still, i wonder why it seems to find the storage in with some commands and in some menus, but not in all... Again: the disk manager finds three of four disks intact...
SweetAndLow, Ericloewe, cyberjock: yes, when I posted it, it was still online - unfortunately, for noobs like me, the information that the 2GB applied to UFS was given nowhere... anyways: can't change that one anymore - but still would love to recover my data :P

Status
Not open for further replies.