Not open for further replies.

Cicatrize

Explorer
Here's the new build (all brand new in box stuff):
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSM-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v5
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Timetec Hynix Unbuffered ECC DDR4
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ

I googled the crap out of this but couldn't fix the issue. I'm wondering if the new RAM or mobo is bad.

The issue:
During the PEI phase of boot, it gets to INTEL REFERENCE CODE EXECUTION 44, and the system halts, every time. Looking up this code, it appears to be part of memory initialization. There are NO beeps. It just dies. After the system halt, I can get to the IPMI interface in my browser, but the CPU and RAM information is wrong.

What I've tried:
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Using a different PSU
  • Removing all RAM modules (results in a 6 beep, 5 short, 1 long indicating no RAM...duh)
  • Placing RAM in different slots
  • Using only one RAM module (tried both in all the slots)
  • Unplug everything unnecessary (currently, I only have CPU and mobo power, power switch, reset switch, IPMI ethernet, RAM, monitor, and the CPU fan connected)
  • Drinking
None of these things have worked. As I said, I can't find anything about this. I'd assume if the RAM or mobo was bad, I'd get some beeps, but I don't get anything.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Here's the new build (all brand new in box stuff):
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSM-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v5
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Timetec Hynix Unbuffered ECC DDR4
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ

I googled the crap out of this but couldn't fix the issue. I'm wondering if the new RAM or mobo is bad.

The issue:
During the PEI phase of boot, it gets to INTEL REFERENCE CODE EXECUTION 44, and the system halts, every time. Looking up this code, it appears to be part of memory initialization. There are NO beeps. It just dies. After the system halt, I can get to the IPMI interface in my browser, but the CPU and RAM information is wrong.

What I've tried:
  • Clearing CMOS
  • Using a different PSU
  • Removing all RAM modules (results in a 6 beep, 5 short, 1 long indicating no RAM...duh)
  • Placing RAM in different slots
  • Using only one RAM module (tried both in all the slots)
  • Unplug everything unnecessary (currently, I only have CPU and mobo power, power switch, reset switch, IPMI ethernet, RAM, monitor, and the CPU fan connected)
  • Drinking
None of these things have worked. As I said, I can't find anything about this. I'd assume if the RAM or mobo was bad, I'd get some beeps, but I don't get anything.
Will it let you get into the BIOS setup?

Cicatrize

Explorer

Pitfrr

Wizard
Do you have the possibility to try the CPU and RAM on an other system to try to identify the faulty component?

Cicatrize

Explorer
Do you have the possibility to try the CPU and RAM on an other system to try to identify the faulty component?
I don't. :(

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's a tricky situation.

You can try to talk Supermicro support into giving you a code to flash the BIOS from IPMI. Flash everything and see if it works then.

Cicatrize

Explorer
Will it let you get into the BIOS setup?
More info: Being that this is a new board and I've never used Supermicro before, I'm not entirely sure when I'm supposed to be able to use the keyboard, but the keyboard isn't even getting power during boot (Supermicro logo and status at the bottom).

Cicatrize

Explorer
That's a tricky situation.

You can try to talk Supermicro support into giving you a code to flash the BIOS from IPMI. Flash everything and see if it works then.
I think I may call them today. I heard their support isn't the greatest, though.

See my post above this one. Looks like you have my board. Am I supposed to have USB power during that phase of boot? Is there a way to directly access BIOS from IPMI (not to flash)?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
More info: Being that this is a new board and I've never used Supermicro before, I'm not entirely sure when I'm supposed to be able to use the keyboard, but the keyboard isn't even getting power during boot (Supermicro logo and status at the bottom).
Keyboard? Detach that and use IPMI.

I think USB is initialized before graphics, so the keyboard should be apparently be functional (even if there's nothing to use it with). That said, there are a few funky USB keyboard controllers out there that wreak havoc at random, so try getting rid of the keyboard.

Cicatrize

Explorer
Keyboard? Detach that and use IPMI.

I think USB is initialized before graphics, so the keyboard should be apparently be functional (even if there's nothing to use it with). That said, there are a few funky USB keyboard controllers out there that wreak havoc at random, so try getting rid of the keyboard.
I'm new to IPMI. I couldn't figure out how to interact with the server live from the web console. I tried to go get IMPIView, but it looks like you need a company e-mail address to download it, which I don't have. (I have my work one, but I don't want to use that).

I get a preview window that I can refresh, but that doesn't help me any.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm new to IPMI. I couldn't figure out how to interact with the server live from the web console.
Click the preview window to launch the iKVM application.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm new to IPMI. I couldn't figure out how to interact with the server live from the web console. I tried to go get IMPIView, but it looks like you need a company e-mail address to download it, which I don't have. (I have my work one, but I don't want to use that).

I get a preview window that I can refresh, but that doesn't help me any.
You can download Supermicro's IPMIView from their FTP server:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/

Cicatrize

Explorer
Thank you both. I'll be taking lunch shortly and heading home to try these. Will update when something good (or bad) happens.

Cicatrize

Explorer
I unplugged the USB keyboard and monitor and accessed straight through IPMIViewer. Still the same problem.

This shows up:
aCu1K5P.png

Then, it shuts off:
QRN182r.png

I can't access the BIOS through my PC keyboard, nor the virtual keyboard.

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I unplugged the USB keyboard and monitor and accessed straight through IPMIViewer. Still the same problem.

This shows up:

Then, it shuts off:

I can't access the BIOS through my PC keyboard, nor the virtual keyboard.
Can you post larger images? These are too small to read...

Cicatrize

Explorer
Can you post larger images? These are too small to read...
I screwed up and just posted the thumbnails. You can click them now.

EDIT: Apologies for all the ads on those links. Just trying to find a quick image upload service. :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I screwed up and just posted the thumbnails. You can click them now.

EDIT: Apologies for all the ads on those links. Just trying to find a quick image upload service. :)
No need, just drag and drop images and choose "paste full image". The forum will handle the rest. Copy-paste also works.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, they're slightly less depressing than all the funeral insurance crapvertising I've been getting lately. I swear, at times I'm left wondering if the big internet companies really are that clueless about me or if they know enough to deceive me. Frankly, I get depressed either way, the source just varies slightly.

Cicatrize

Explorer
Updated photos with direct images from imgur

Cicatrize

Explorer
Sometimes it makes it past code 44 to code 50. I can't find a definitive list of these codes anywhere, but perhaps 44 isn't the problem, and 50 is.

Status
Not open for further replies.