Best RAID for 4 Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

namaipa

Dabbler
Hello, I have 4 disks of 3 TB each one, I need to use the max space and also having best integrity a safe possibility. I was wondering if Raid 6 or Raid 10 is best option to use? Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
I need to use the max space and also having best integrity a safe possibility.
You realize that these are directly conflicting requirements, right? Max space means minimum redundancy, which means relatively poor data integrity. Best integrity means maximum redundancy, which means least space. RAIDZ2 is a good compromise, and gives the same capacity with better redundancy than two mirrored pairs (what you're referring to as RAID10).

namaipa

Dabbler
Thank you both for reply, I had choose RAIDZ1 because only let me to choose between z0 and z1, I do not know why but was only the 2 options allowed.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Please don't start putting any vital data on there just yet. Seems to me you are a little new at this and might be making a mistake that will cost you down the line.

Instead, take some time and read the items listed in my signature under "Recommended Reading" before you go any further. I have a sneaky suspicion that you may be making more mistakes than just this (like hardware choice).

namaipa

Dabbler
Please don't start putting any vital data on there just yet. Seems to me you are a little new at this and might be making a mistake that will cost you down the line.

Instead, take some time and read the items listed in my signature under "Recommended Reading" before you go any further. I have a sneaky suspicion that you may be making more mistakes than just this (like hardware choice).

Thank you, anyways I have chosen RAIDZ1

Mlovelace

Guru
Thank you, anyways I have chosen RAIDZ1
You will find most people are unconfortable with raidz1 when you get into drive sizes of 2TB+. I don't find it to be an unacceptable solution in the 3TB - 4TB drive size, with the caveat that, it is not the only copy of the data. There is no level of array redundancy that replaces having a backup of your data, period, no matter the raidz level you run.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

danb35

Hall of Famer
So you asked your 1st question (should I do A or B), got some feedback which was C or D and you decide on option E.
If, as he said, the system only gave him the option of RAIDZ0 or RAIDZ1, neither of those was among the options he asked about. That didn't happen, of course, because there's no such thing as RAIDZ0, so we really don't know what options the system gave him.

@namaipa, RAID levels and some other terminology are unique to ZFS and FreeNAS. @jgreco has written a guide that explains some of the differences; it'd be worth your time to check it out.

gpsguy

One on the sweet spots is 6 disks in RAIDz2. I would buy 2 more disks and do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

namaipa

Dabbler
If, as he said, the system only gave him the option of RAIDZ0 or RAIDZ1, neither of those was among the options he asked about. That didn't happen, of course, because there's no such thing as RAIDZ0, so we really don't know what options the system gave him.

@namaipa, RAID levels and some other terminology are unique to ZFS and FreeNAS. @jgreco has written a guide that explains some of the differences; it'd be worth your time to check it out.

Yes I wrote before installing thinking that FreeNAS would let me choose, but as I could read RAIDZ1 is similar to a RAID5. So between the option to choose I picked up that one.

Stux

MVP
Okay.

Keep backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.