Path from RAID-Z1 to RAID-Z2

Pabs

Explorer
Hi,

I currently have a 4 drives RAID-Z1 array created many moons ago and I am starting to run out of space. I have a another Server Built which a compatible board which supports up to 12 drives of which I would like to use 8 of them.

Question being, what would be the best way to transition from my current RAID-Z1 to RAID-Z2 all while keeping file permissions, shares, share permissions, so literally a clone of what I have with the extra resiliency.

Or, would keeping the RAID-Z1 and creating a new VDEV solve the problem of adding space to the existing array with the downside of just having a single parity drive.... and the lack of understanding on my end of what the true implications are with doing this.

Thanks,

Philip Robar

Contributor
There is no direct path from RAIDZ1 to RAIDZ2. You can add a new VDEV of the same configuration to the existing pool as you said* or you will have to back up your data, destroy the existing pool, create a new pool with a RAIDZ2 VDEV with the old and new drives on the new server and then restore your data.

* You could add a dissimilar VDEV from the command line or grow the existing pool by replacing each drive in your existing pool one at a time with a larger drive, but neither of those methods will get you to RAIDZ2.

Pabs

Explorer
There is no direct path from RAIDZ1 to RAIDZ2. You can add a new VDEV of the same configuration to the existing pool as you said* or you will have to back up your data, destroy the existing pool, create a new pool with a RAIDZ2 VDEV with the old and new drives on the new server and then restore your data.

* You could add a dissimilar VDEV from the command line or grow the existing pool by replacing each drive in your existing pool one at a time with a larger drive, but neither of those methods will get you to RAIDZ2.

Would a NAS 2 NAS replication keep file permissions and other settings?

I could build a RAIDZ2 one and then Replicate the data over, just the sheer amount of configs and things which I have running..

Thanks,

Yorick

Wizard
You can build a new raidz2, snapshot the dataset you want to move over, and then send | receive it via ZFS. My understanding is this keeps everything intact, including permissions, and of course ZFS checksums. Within FreeNAS, this is contained within the "Replication" functionality, which works across systems using SSH.

I think replication is likely your least labor-intensive option here, to get all the data over to the new raidz2 pool on the new system.

I'd advise against mixing raidz2 and raidz1 in the same pool. If your raidz1 vdev has an unrecoverable error, your entire pool is lost.

See https://www.ixsystems.com/documenta....html?highlight=replication#replication-tasks

I expect your ACLs will replicate over fine, what you call "share permissions". You may need to recreate the shares themselves manually.

Test it on a subset of your data until you have the process down, then bring everything across.

Dan Tudora

Patron
Would a NAS 2 NAS replication keep file permissions and other settings?
hello
nas 2 nas replication work
but, you have all hdd for the new NAS ?

if that is the situation =>
make new NAS with 8 HDD RaidZ2 and pool name like pool name of the old NAS
move the system dataset on old NAS from pool to boot pool
stop jail and VM on old NAS
backup config file from old NAS
replicate old to new NAS
stop old NAS
move boot device from old to new NAS
maybe some setting on the network (IP address, etc)
and everything must to work like on old NAS

succes

Pabs

Explorer
hello
nas 2 nas replication work
but, you have all hdd for the new NAS ?

if that is the situation =>
make new NAS with 8 HDD RaidZ2 and pool name like pool name of the old NAS
move the system dataset on old NAS from pool to boot pool
stop jail and VM on old NAS
backup config file from old NAS
replicate old to new NAS
stop old NAS
move boot device from old to new NAS
maybe some setting on the network (IP address, etc)
and everything must to work like on old NAS

succes

Working on it as we speak, exactly what do you mean about "move the system dataset on old NAS from pool to boot pool"? thanks!

Pabs

Explorer
You can build a new raidz2, snapshot the dataset you want to move over, and then send | receive it via ZFS. My understanding is this keeps everything intact, including permissions, and of course ZFS checksums. Within FreeNAS, this is contained within the "Replication" functionality, which works across systems using SSH.

I think replication is likely your least labor-intensive option here, to get all the data over to the new raidz2 pool on the new system.

I'd advise against mixing raidz2 and raidz1 in the same pool. If your raidz1 vdev has an unrecoverable error, your entire pool is lost.

See https://www.ixsystems.com/documenta....html?highlight=replication#replication-tasks

I expect your ACLs will replicate over fine, what you call "share permissions". You may need to recreate the shares themselves manually.

Test it on a subset of your data until you have the process down, then bring everything across.
Working on it, let's see... will update the thread, thanks

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
Working on it as we speak, exactly what do you mean about "move the system dataset on old NAS from pool to boot pool"? thanks!
hello
click on system=>system dataset=> and select freenas-boot pool
after that combine what yorick say and me and with the manual of FN your version (the same version I hope) for the replication task and zfs send | receive procedure
what version of FN have??
because if you do not have both NAS at the same version have a trouble with the "ZFS flag"

succes

Pabs

Explorer
hello

hello
click on system=>system dataset=> and select freenas-boot pool
after that combine what yorick say and me and with the manual of FN your version (the same version I hope) for the replication task and zfs send | receive procedure
what version of FN have??
because if you do not have both NAS at the same version have a trouble with the "ZFS flag"

succes
After I get there all I have is a button that says [Save], do you know what am I actually achieving by doing so? I am even failing to understand it's purpose if looking at: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U2/system.html#system-dataset
thx,

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
at the first line\selection you must see your pool name
click on that
you will see another "thing" call freenas-boot
select that
click save
succes

Dan Tudora

Patron
at my place is midnight
and my google translate is tired too
I follow that path:
eat=>drink something (vodka)=> smoking (not marijuana )=>sleep
succes

Pabs

Explorer
hello
at the first line\selection you must see your pool name
click on that
you will see another "thing" call freenas-boot
select that
click save
succes
Thanks man, just trying to understand what do I do after I save it.
Spasibo

Pabs

Explorer

what about replication, config backup and restoring the backup on the other NAS, wouldn’t it achieve the same?

thx,

Pabs

Explorer
Hi All,

So:
New RAID Z2
ZFS snapshot
Backup config
Restore from config

seem to have done the trick.

Thank you very much for your tips!!