Best Practice - FreeNAS backups to remote server

SFTP or NFS

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

codyf51

Dabbler
Hello world!

Looking around I can not find anything regarding the best practices to backup a FreeNAS Server to a remote site. I was wondering if any of the more experienced FreeNASers could offer some suggestions. My plan is to build a low power atom server with 16GB of RAM, and 5 of Seagate's 8TB archive HDD's. Of course the initial backup will be done on-site but the server will be a whole city away with a effective 25Mb max connection, because of Comcast weird 175/25 speed shenanigans. I think I will have the server run hardware RAID to save $$$ on the RAM. So we are planning on using VMware ESXi with a Ubuntu Server VM hosting a SFTP server. Each night I want my home NAS to backup any new/changed files to the off-site server. Almost like the Apple Time Machine feature. But honestly I have no idea how to implement the software side of this backup. Would scripting be the best option, or is there a built-in tool? On the other hand would I be better off setting up a site-to-site VPN and backing up over NFS? I would appreciate any advice. O... and while we are on the topic of data integrity, any recommendations of a ZFS RAID config for 12 3TB HDD's?

Thank You Community!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
is it an option to run zfs on both sides? zfs replication would be the best solution. This way you only transfer the data diff and not fully copies. tar+Rsync is the next best option after that. Your reasoning to save money on ram is silly and not a good reason. The cost is about the same either way.

snaptec

Guru
Vote for zfs replication.
If you want to use no zfs on the remote side use rsync.
The rsync man page will give you everything you need.
Use rsync over ssh or run rsync in daemon mode over a vpn.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

codyf51

Dabbler
ZFS is a option. I could run FreeNAS on the backup server it would just add some cost. ECC RAM is so expensive, especially for 64GB! How would I go about setting up rsync or ZFS replication, I am still new to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.