Bad Asrock Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsjmia

Cadet
Hi FreeNas, this is a great forum but there is way to much info for a newbie to absorb--after 30 or 40 hours over the last 3 weeks, my head is spinning so I decided to post this cry for help.

About 5 years ago, I built a $600 Freeas based on the build in Engadget, and it worked flawlessly until recently when it croaked.

This is for an office serving Word files to 4 users.

To replace, I searched the user guides (I now know that not all user guides are created equal) found another build and built 2 boxes based on:

Asrock E3C226D21
Intel i3-4150
2 X 8 Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 DR3
FSP 300 W Mini ITX PSU 80+
120 G SanDisk SSD
1 X 5TB Western Digital

First box is working fine and being used at work.

But, the second box has had lots of problems. First it had a reboot problem--swapped ram and it was fixed.

But now I get: Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.
(running memtest now, no errors so far)

I read about non-ECC RAM and all of a sudden I am terrified (about the backups being copies of corrupted files).

Data integrity is my main concern.

The MB supports ECC RAM but I think it needs UDIMM. Cyberjock's RAM guide says don't use Kingston or UDIMM (I think that is only with SuperMicro?).

What RAM I should use? Kingston's KVR16E11/8 is on Asrock's approved memory list https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-ValueRAM-Workstation-KVR16E11/dp/B008LMNXS0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519573938&sr=1-1&keywords=KVR16E11/8

Do I need to go SuperMicro and if so can I reuse my CPU?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I read about non-ECC RAM and all of a sudden I am terrified (about the backups being copies of corrupted files).
This was still the case 5 years ago, not sure why this is news to you, however if anything the mindset has changed slightly in that ECC RAM isn't required (say some people) but it is highly desired. I myself would rather recommend ECC RAM for any business environment if you value your files, which it sounds like you do.

What RAM I should use? This is on Asrock's approved memory list
If it's on the approved list then it should be fine.

But now I get: Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.
This is stating that your boot volume (your SSD I assume) has some corrupt file(s). The simple fix is to rebuild the boot device and restore the config file. I assume that you are maintaining a backup of your config file? The cause for the corruption could have been your original RAM issue, if MemTest is passing then follow my instructions and you should be fine.

Three things you didn't mention in your posting:
1) FreeNAS Version you are running. My advice is to not upgrade if your system is working on the version you were previously using. Upgrades can introduce problems.
2) Is the pool encrypted. Again, upgrades can cause issues, especially for encrypted pools and total data loss can occur.
3) If the SSD was your boot device or something else. I'm assuming it is your boot device but assumptions can get a person into trouble.

Do I need to go SuperMicro and if so can I reuse my CPU?
You shouldn't have to but maybe in a future upgrade it may be a good idea to check it out.

gsjmia

Cadet
Thanks for the replies--I don't feel like it was all a waste, just need to upgrade RAM.

As for the missing info requested by joeschumck:

1 FreeNAS Version 11.U2
2. No encryption.
3. SSD is the boot drive.

All new parts, just installed FreeNAS and no data on it yet.

The first time I got
Code:
Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

I formatted the SSD and reinstalled but it came back.

After 3 or 4 hours Memtest shows no errors (since I am going to return the RAM no point in testing longer).

I formatted the SSD in Windows and reinstall FreeNAS 3X times then upload my config file.

Still get
Code:
Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

Do not get the error when swap identical SSD with FreeNAS #1.

Bad SSD?

Thank you.

gsjmia

Cadet
Used a Sandisk 16GB thumb drive instead and no error.

Thank you for your help.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
ECC RAM is a good idea if data integrity is your primary concern. Scrubbing pools without it can be a risk (however small in reality).

Your board might support it, but I don't think your CPU does... check before assuming it will work, there are intel websites and a good wikipedia page that covers the topic.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Still get "Boot Volume Condition: ONLINE One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected."
So the other possible failures here could be the SSD is faulty, the SATA cable is faulty, the Motherboard is faultly.

Run on the SSD a smartctl -a /dev/adax and post the output. Replace the SATA cable being used for the SSD.

Please explain in detail how/which port your SSD is connected to and the other hard drives in your system. Also, are you installing FreeNAS as UEFI or Legacy? Legacy is the most compatible.

Used a Sandisk 16GB thumb drive instead and no error.
That is good, at least you can make it work but you should be able to get the SSD to work, if you want to. I leave that up to you. And sorry I've not responded very quickly, my job has me quite busy lately and no sign of letting up. Hey, it makes the day pass by faster.

gsjmia

Cadet
Thank you Joe, much appreciated info, but, I returned my non-ECC RAM and am waiting for ECC RAM. As I think you mentioned, the questionable RAM is probably the cause of all woes.

Since this is the back up box (main box working fine), when I get the new ECC RAM, I will reinstall FreeNas 11 all fresh, and retry the SSD and the other USB's that I tried to install and got error messages, and see if it all goes away.

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out the best disk setup, but I will start a new post for that.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The best disk setup can only be figured out if you know what you want and where the backup will be located. While I know you said that you will start another thread, I just wanted to give you these points to think about (there are likely others):
1) How important is the data.
2) Where will the backup server be physically located (in the same house or remotely).
3) Will the backup server have a good UPS.
4) Is the backup server strictly a backup server or is it being used for more than that.
5) How much storage do you need over the next 5 years.
6) Are you using multiple pools/vdevs and if so, do you really need them.

So open your other thread if you want but think about these questions. In my situation I have a backup FreeNAS unit in my basement, right next to my main FreeNAS unit. It uses RSync to backup my important data and the storage capacity is significantly less than my main FreeNAS but that is fine because the important data isn't that large. My redundancy is RAIDZ1 for this backup unit because the likely hood of both FreeNAS units having issues at the same time is remote. If my backup unit were to be relocated to a remote site then I'd use RAIDZ3 because I doubt I'd get to the remote site quickly enough to replace the hard drive(s) failing. Again, just important data. In my situation well over 50% of my storage is for backups of my computers and there is no need to backup this data. Again, odds of one of my computers becoming corrupt or dead hard drive AND the main server having issues at the same time are doubtful. And my plans are to rebuild my backup FreeNAS unit once I move to the same city as my son lives in and then I'd have a true off-site backup unit.

Good Luck, hope that RAM fixes your issues.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

gsjmia

Cadet
Thanks Joe, I posted the question in the other thread (I thought that was the proper etiquette here) but still have a few questions.

1) How important is the data.
Very important.

2) Where will the backup server be physically located (in the same house or remotely).
Same air-conditioned equipment room at work--planning on getting Crashplan for off-site last-ditch backup.

3) Will the backup server have a good UPS.
Yes--commercial grade.

4) Is the backup server strictly a backup server or is it being used for more than that.
There will be FreeNAS1 and FreeNAS2 (see hardware above). FreeNAS3 is on a VM on my landlord's backup Windows server (he lets me have a space). Purpose is to archive a lot of old data (400 people's work product for 15 years--prior employer closed but occasionally needed) and serve office documents to several users. They will be rotated (by swapping IP) periodically to make sure functional. If one goes down, change IP address and the next in line will pick right up (this has happened and it works okay).

5) How much storage do you need over the next 5 years.
Probably 1T.

6) Are you using multiple pools/vdevs and if so, do you really need them.
One volume with 5 datasets.

I presently have about 2.5T of data, but plan on replacing drives every 3 years.

The Windows VM FreeNAS is shared on an HP Proliant Server with SSD storage drives (not my equipment, can't touch).

In FreeNAS 1 and 2, I plan to have 2 WD Red 4TB drives, but I am not sure if they should be mirrored or RAIDZ2 (Would rather not buy 4 extra drives for RaidZ2).

I have been backing up for 5 years with GoodSync, but i will try again to get replication working. Does it matter how it is replicated, i.e., 1 to 2 and then 2 to 3?

In addition I have a USB storage device that backs up every night to an external drive on workstation. Lastly, I plan to get a Crashplan.

Any suggestions or corrections will be great, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.