BUILD low budget newbie FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcrusher

Dabbler
Hello!
I made some provisional parts list of my fututre low budget FreeNAS box. It's inspired by joeschmuck's build. Here we go:

NAS:

PC / backup machine:
  • RAM:
    1x8GB, or 2x4GB the same kind as in NAS

• HDD:
    For now it would be just one 1TB 7200rpm SAMSUNG F3 HDD. Migration to 2x1TB mirror in the future.

• ALL THE REST ALMOST THE SAME AS NAS MACHINE

Currently all data are on the HGST's (2x1TB mirror) plugged into cheap MSI 1155 motherboard (celeron G530 @2.4GHz, 8GB non-ECC RAM).
  • Everything is under control of Debian sid and mdadm @ETX4.
  • Backup is made into single 1TB NTFS SAMSUNG F3 (Windows controlled).

Storing mailny family photos and videos, but also a bit of text files (sometimes small and numerous), documents, spreadsheets and some flac/mp3 files. Used as CIFS server so nothing fancy, no plex, etc. Apache, MySQL and other stuff will me moved to Raspberry Pi.

I suppose the Athlon x2 is good enough for that purpose? I have some doubts about memory compatibility with Asus motherboard but its hard to verify not having stuff in hands.
Would be happy to read some (constructive) critics about this build, but please remember that I'm a bit short on cash.

gpsguy

I'm using this mobo for my primary desktop PC. I bought my ECC RAM direct from Crucial using their selection tool.

If you decide to go this route, pick up a PCI/e Intel Pro/1000 CT NIC. It costs ~$30 USD.

Sent from my phone

carcrusher

Dabbler
Thanks! Crucial seems OK, but it's a bit overpriced compared to kingston. I checked that kingstons should work with this ASUS, but only the 1333MHz version, so I decided to go with:
I was planning intel NIC's but I was wondering why Pro/1000 is over 2x cheaper than i210...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Unfortunately, Kingston is not reputable anymore. Crucial, if certified compatible, would be a much better choice (as would any other major brand).

As for the NICs, the i210 is a relatively recent model and the Pro/1000 is a rather old model. Performance should be close, but the i210 adds certain features that you may or may not want and runs on PCI-e 2.0 instead of PCI-e 1.0, I believe.

carcrusher

Dabbler
One or two mistakes (vide v300 ssd's) doesn't suddenly make them not worthy considering. I had a few kingston RAM modules, and all worked/work flawlessly. I also have one ballistix (crucial brand) pair of dimms and guess what... fortunately warranty was valid. I know that it doesn't proof anything, but what I have to loose? The memory will work or throw errors, if that occurs there is always warranty. On kingston's website stands that kvr16e11/8 was tested with this motherboard - so I think it should work without problems?

Yatti420

Wizard
The only motherboard I've seen issues with kingston ram is the x10 series from Super micro.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The only motherboard I've seen issues with kingston ram is the x10 series from Super micro.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

It's not about compatibility, it's more about business practices. Compatibility problems are fortunately rare, but I wouldn't put it past them to try and pass off crappy DRAM for the good stuff (like sell 1066-binned stuff as 1600).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

enemy85

Guru
I know it has only 2 DIMMs, but 16GB RAM shoud be enoug for 2x1TB (maybe 2x2TB in the future) mirrored disks I think ?

With just 2x2tb hd 8gb ram are already ok for a home user...at least for now i would save that money...

carcrusher

Dabbler
Well, they did something rather similar with SSDs recently, besides the whole Supermicro X10 debacle.http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand
I know about ssd's issue, this case was hard to miss. I was asking about selling 1066 RAM as 1600 - because I never heard of it.

With just 2x2tb hd 8gb ram are already ok for a home user...at least for now i would save that money...
That's even better - I forgot about OEM license for windows - need to buy another because of motherboard change. So savings from RAM will go to M$.

Status
Not open for further replies.