[Available Plugin] XMRig - Monero (XMR) and AEON Cryptocurrency Miner

escrima

Explorer
I have cpu usage throttled to 60%, but system processes has xmrig running at 100%. Did I set something incorrectly?

Soloam

Contributor
I don't know way, I can get max at 180-190 H/s on my Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3.

Algorithm: CriptoNight
Threads: 6
Max CPU Usage (%): 75
CPU Affinity: 0x55

Seems kinda low.

Any Ideas?
Thank you

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I don't know way, I can get max at 180-190 H/s on my Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3.

Algorithm: CriptoNight
Threads: 6
Max CPU Usage (%): 75
CPU Affinity: 0x55

Seems kinda low.

Any Ideas?
Thank you
Seems about right to me.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi, I'm interested in trying this, but not up-to-date on crypo-currency, but thought I give it a try.

My processor is a Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v4 3.60GHz, which has 6-cores and 12-threads, and I'm not sure what settings to use for "CPU Affinity" and "Threads", any suggestions?

Also, any idea what my hash rate would be like?

Jonathan

I do want to remind people that the donation field must be at least 1 and up to 5 or it will default to a 5% donation.

Hi, I'm interested in trying this, but not up-to-date on crypo-currency, but thought I give it a try.

My processor is a Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v4 3.60GHz, which has 6-cores and 12-threads, and I'm not sure what settings to use for "CPU Affinity" and "Threads", any suggestions?

Also, any idea what my hash rate would be like?

Jonathan

I would probably use 6 threads and set affinity to 0x555 to begin with. That should run it on a dedicated core and not touch the hyper threads..

Alix

Dabbler
So I've found that if I mine to miningpoolhub, it seems to work as expected. This is just running on 1 thread, priority 1. So this graph is perfectly showing it working full time as intended:
upload_2018-1-20_21-44-0.png

However, when I mine to nicehash, after a little bit, it just seems to stop working and does little spurts of work at a time:
upload_2018-1-20_21-46-8.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/comments/6xiyps/why_is_cryptonight_intermittent/

So I've found that if I mine to miningpoolhub, it seems to work as expected. This is just running on 1 thread, priority 1. So this graph is perfectly showing it working full time as intended:
View attachment 22456

However, when I mine to nicehash, after a little bit, it just seems to stop working and does little spurts of work at a time:
View attachment 22457

Nicehash is not a TRUE mining pool. Basically you are mining for other people and when an order is put in you can make money but the slower the system you have the less apt you are to do work. The first bit you are doing is a benchmark so they can rate your system then after that point you are doing work for someone else when an order comes through.

If you want to consistently make money setup a trading account and mine to a pool. You will have to manage when you sell but that is not really a bad thing. You can bank up and sell when the price goes high and hold it during a downturn.

Hazimil

Contributor
Well, it's installed, wallet created and working :)

Will leave it 24-hours to see what the results are like, and currently using 6 threads and an affinity of 0x555 for now:

Settings:
upload_2018-1-22_14-10-5.png

CPU usage are as follows:
upload_2018-1-22_14-4-8.png

System load:
upload_2018-1-22_14-6-52.png

So looking OK so far, just need to better understand the threads/cpu affinity part, to maximise usage.

Jonathan

just need to better understand the threads/cpu affinity part, to maximise usage

Basically the threads should be half the core count if you have hyperthreading. A 6 core cpu with hyperthreading should present as a physical core then a hyperthreaded core. Setting to just 6 cores could randomly throw threads at cores so by setting the affinity you are telling it to use every other core hopefully only using the physical ones and leaving the hyperthreads alone to do other things.

I would however change my process priority to 0 or 1, this way you are not cannibalizing the cpu when other stuff wants to run. The way it is set right now if something like Plex wants to use the whole CPU it will be put into a wait state until something else clears up. I set mine at 1 so that applications that are more important to me will run with a higher priority than the miner and get the CPU time needed. The miner is just an extra not my main priority.

Rhinofart

Cadet
I'm not exactly sure what to do here, but I've installed the plugin, but when I go to the API page, it all looks "stock" like none of the configuration options I entered are taking. How do I go about manually editing the config? I saw in a previous post about manually editing a config file, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there.

{
"id": "1c0c59df894de9cc",
"worker_id": "xmrig_1",
"version": "2.4.3",
"kind": "cpu",
"ua": "XMRig/2.4.3 (Linux x86_64) libuv/1.18.0 gcc/4.9.2",
"cpu": {
"brand": "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5540 @ 2.53GHz",
"aes": false,
"x64": true,
"sockets": 2
},
"algo": "cryptonight",
"hugepages": true,
"donate_level": 1,
"hashrate": {
"total": [
],
"highest": 0.0,
"threads": [
[
],
[
],
[
],
[
]
]
},
"results": {
"diff_current": 0,
"shares_good": 0,
"shares_total": 0,
"avg_time": 0,
"hashes_total": 0,
"best": [
],
"error_log": []
},
"connection": {
"pool": "",
"uptime": 0,
"ping": 0,
"failures": 0,
"error_log": []
}
}

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nucshuco

Explorer
Make sure there is not an extra space in your Username for Mining Pool after you copy paste. That was my issue.

Rhinofart

Cadet
Make sure there is not an extra space in your Username for Mining Pool after you copy paste. That was my issue.

NAILED IT! Thanks Nucshuco! Those darn empty spaces where they shouldn't be. ;) And that's why I'm not a programmer!!
Now, I just need to nail down this Affinity thing. I'm sure I could spare half of my processors, as this beast is way over powered for the little NAS that I'm running with it.

Hazimil

Contributor
Well, ran for 24 hours, this is my results. Any good? Should I continue?

upload_2018-1-23_13-57-18.png

Jonathan

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-23_13-57-44.png
    upload_2018-1-23_13-57-44.png
    905 KB · Views: 405

Robert No.1

Cadet
Any chance of creating a Start / Stop time box? The goal is to kill or pause the process during peak hours for electric bills.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Any chance of creating a Start / Stop time box? The goal is to kill or pause the process during peak hours for electric bills.
I think a good way to do this is utilizing FreeNAS's built in scheduler with the commands below.
Code:
jexec xmrig_1 service xmrig stop

Code:
jexec xmrig_1 service xmrig start

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, I'm not able to login into my account on hashvault.pro, I set my password to worker_id:email and in the site I use my wallet as username and may password as worker_id:email. I get a error of invalid password.

Edit: Found Solution... sorry... my email is my first password. Thank You

Interesting info. My CPU is weak so maybe one of you would see more of an improvement.
https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/...ero-xmr-mining-by-disabling-hyperthreading-ht

By doing a cores setting to 0x55 or 0x555 or something else of that nature you are basically doing the same thing while not disabling hyperthreading. You are telling the miner to run on every other core which should skip over a hyperthread while leaving the virtual core to do other work which should be fine as long as it's not using the same resources.

With that said first and foremost my FreeNAS is a NAS, second it is a Media Server, etc. around 10th on the list is Miner. I think that is the main purpose for most of us so why cripple the system to increase the mining speed. If you are going to do that you may as well drop windows or linux on it with a GUI and run only a miner.

escrima

Explorer
Well the author recommends using x5 etc within xmrig, so that wouldn't cripple the system.