[Available Plugin] XMRig - Monero (XMR) and AEON Cryptocurrency Miner

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have a very similar setup to you @Joshua Parker Ruehlig with CPU and cost/KW. I think my calculations were a bit off before but I see now the proposed profits (I know this can be greatly affected by fluctuations in cryptocurrency values) are not bad.

@Jailer what do you mean:
My I'm monetizing mine now that's why I use nicehash.
I'm still reading up on cryptocurrency (lots to understand!) but don't know exactly what you mean by that.

Thanks.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
but don't know exactly what you mean by that.
I don't hold my crypto currency that I mine, I convert it to cash as I mine it. Nicehash and coinbase makes it easy to do that with very little fees involved.

lukyjay

Contributor
I don't understand how I set a password for my wallet to login to minemonero.org

I have my settings with my wallet ID and a password I chose but when I go to minemonero.org I can't seem to login? Any help?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't understand how I set a password for my wallet to login to minemonero.org

I have my settings with my wallet ID and a password I chose but when I go to minemonero.org I can't seem to login? Any help?
i use minemonero.pro, but that site looks identical.
did you try the login at the top right with your walletid and password (which is what you send as a password from your miner). once you login there you can change your password for the site to something other than your email. i think the only setting you control is when to get paid out.

you can also track your miners if you scroll down the page and enter your walletid. thats as much as i know how to use the site, lol

lukyjay

Contributor
i use minemonero.pro, but that site looks identical.
did you try the login at the top right with your walletid and password (which is what you send as a password from your miner). once you login there you can change your password for the site to something other than your email. i think the only setting you control is when to get paid out.

you can also track your miners if you scroll down the page and enter your walletid. thats as much as i know how to use the site, lol
Figured it out, I was on the wrong website. Doh!

Thank you

Is my worker_id supposed to be my password? Seems insecure.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Figured it out, I was on the wrong website. Doh!

Thank you

Is my worker_id supposed to be my password? Seems insecure.
i put "workerid:email" for the password, you can change the password on the website after you first login with your email.

i agree it feels insecure, but i guess that login doesnt protect anything but how often you get paid. the funds can only be sent to your wallet address. id still change the password right away though.

Alix

Dabbler
After updating to 2.4.3_1 I am in love with this simple plugin. I'm just running it on 1 thread with process priority set to 1 so that it shouldn't interfere with my other plugins and VM's. I can't notice any performance differences on my machine and it's making a couple cents a day profit after accounting for the extra power draw (~15W) according to my calculations. Thanks so much for this!

SlackerDude

Explorer
Thanks Josh, for making this available. I've just begun dipping a toe into the waters. I feel I'm missing something in my settings though, as the highest hash I'm seeing is in the 10-18 H/s range. Everything appears to be working, I see 50+ valid shares, so it may be my system simply does not have the "oomph" to generate a higher hash value.

Any thoughts/suggestions are more than welcome.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks Josh, for making this available. I've just begun dipping a toe into the waters. I feel I'm missing something in my settings though, as the highest hash I'm seeing is in the 10-18 H/s range. Everything appears to be working, I see 50+ valid shares, so it may be my system simply does not have the "oomph" to generate a higher hash value.

Any thoughts/suggestions are more than welcome.
what cpu do you have? i think the hashrate is mostly deoendent on having AES-NI, cache size, and finally processor speed.
So while one of my i3-2120 isn't slow for most tasks it get only like 30-40h/s since it doesnt have AES-NI and only 3MB cache. my e3-1220v2 gets like 170-180h/s with AES-NI and 8MB cache.

you could try different algorithm variations, or switch to cryptonight-lite (AEON) mining which i found more profitible.

adrianwi

Guru
Thanks for your efforts and the excellent Youtube guide. Can't even begin to pretend I have the first idea what all this is about, but as my FreeNAS box is running 24x7 and for probably 18x7 is doing very little it seems like a no-brainer. So easy to set-up so will try and learn a little more about cryptocurrencies and hopefully make a killing in 15 years time :D

SlackerDude

Explorer
what cpu do you have?

Alas, I did not go the Intel route. Rather, I used a 3.4GHz AMD 5400K, which does not support AES-NI. While it does sport 128 L1 and 1024 L2 cache, there is no L3

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Alas, I did not go the Intel route. Rather, I used a 3.4GHz AMD 5400K, which does not support AES-NI. While it does sport 128 L1 and 1024 L2 cache, there is no L3
ahh, 1MB is not much. you might want to try crytonight-lite for mining to an AEON pool. i found i could 4x my hashrate on my 3MB system which made it slightly more profitable. only problem is I'd be earning AEON instead of monero which is what i prefer.

AlexMata

Dabbler
I have just installed and configure it. I works fine, at 75% my E5 1620 mines 200 H/s. It's not much but the system is always on anyway.
Thanks a lot!

SlackerDude

Explorer
ahh, 1MB is not much. you might want to try crytonight-lite for mining to an AEON pool. i found i could 4x my hashrate on my 3MB system which made it slightly more profitable. only problem is I'd be earning AEON instead of monero which is what i prefer.

FWIW, These are my current settings. I suspect the hash rate I'm getting now is about as good as I will get, unless and until I try your suggestion.
upload_2018-1-15_8-44-46.png

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
FWIW, These are my current settings. I suspect the hash rate I'm getting now is about as good as I will get, unless and until I try your suggestion.
View attachment 22372
I would do the math and make sure it's worth your effort with that CPU. If your hash rate is really low you may end up spending more in electricity that you make mining. That is unless your strategy is holding the coin hoping for a large gain in the future but that's a gamble you'll have to decide for yourself.

SlackerDude

Explorer
Thanks Jailer, I will play with the numbers and settings a bit more. Essentially, even if the thing only gleans 2 cents per day, it'll be that much off the cost operation of a box that is running 24/7 anyway. As stated earlier, this is my first foray into mining, and while it is somewhat disappointing to learn the low-end hardware of this FreeNAS box doesn't really measure up, I am gaining insight into what I need to consider for a future build that will. -cheers-

nojohnny101

Wizard
Got mine up and running!

I've been playing around with settings, I'm currently mining Monero, and I can't get the hashrate as high as I thought. I am only getting around 175 but I checked my CPU utilization and it is only at 50%. I tried maxing out the settings but it won't go above 50%. Any ideas?

xmrig%20performance.png

@Jailer I see that we have the same CPU. What are you mining? Did you try Monero and what kind of hashrates were you able to get when maxing everything out?

EDIT: after playing around with settings, it seems it is not recognizing my 8 threads. It is only using 4 of them (as is show by my hash rates per thread in the settings page of the plug). Strange. If I change it to 2 threads, it uses 2. If I change it to 4, it uses 4. If I change it to 8, it uses 4. Hmmm?

EDIT2: Ok so it seems, as @Joshua Parker Ruehlig mentioned briefly before that is more dependent on L3 Cache. So my professor has 8mb which means 2mb per thread which means my optimal amount of threads is 4. If I uncheck "Safely Adjust Settings" then it will let me use 8 threads but my hashrate actually drops. So is that it? The best I can get out of my xeon e3-1240 v3 is 180?

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Got mine up and running!

I've been playing around with settings, I'm currently mining Monero, and I can't get the hashrate as high as I thought. I am only getting around 175 but I checked my CPU utilization and it is only at 50%. I tried maxing out the settings but it won't go above 50%. Any ideas?

xmrig%20performance.png

@Jailer I see that we have the same CPU. What are you mining? Did you try Monero and what kind of hashrates were you able to get when maxing everything out?

EDIT: after playing around with settings, it seems it is not recognizing my 8 threads. It is only using 4 of them (as is show by my hash rates per thread in the settings page of the plug). Strange. If I change it to 2 threads, it uses 2. If I change it to 4, it uses 4. If I change it to 8, it uses 4. Hmmm?

EDIT2: Ok so it seems, as @Joshua Parker Ruehlig mentioned briefly before that is more dependent on L3 Cache. So my professor has 8mb which means 2mb per thread which means my optimal amount of threads is 4. If I uncheck "Safely Adjust Settings" then it will let me use 8 threads but my hashrate actually drops. So is that it? The best I can get out of my xeon e3-1240 v3 is 180?
You could possibly get more. I'm getting 280-290 with my e3-1240v2.
I was testing a system with the CPU mentioned that had been running for a while and is usually busy doing alot of stuff.

And after a while, I couldn't get over 180h/s (in a jail, which is how this plugin is run), then when i rebooted it went back up to the expected 280h/s. I don't know if it is some type of cache flush.
That being said, I don't plan on rebooting any of my production servers just to get a better hashrate, since they are doing important stuff like my security camera system/media streaming.

nojohnny101

Wizard
You could possibly get more. I'm getting 280-290 with my e3-1240v2.
I was testing a system with the CPU mentioned that had been running for a while and is usually busy doing alot of stuff.

And after a while, I couldn't get over 180h/s (in a jail, which is how this plugin is run), then when i rebooted it went back up to the expected 280h/s. I don't know if it is some type of cache flush.
That being said, I don't plan on rebooting any of my production servers just to get a better hashrate, since they are doing important stuff like my security camera system/media streaming.
Hmm. Could be, I just rebooted but I am still capped at 180. Care to share your settings? Are you saying that when you rebooted that you went up to 280 but then dropped again after a while?