Auto backup from Windows PC to FreeNAS

danielavalos

Cadet
Hi guys, me again, i need an advice, what is the best option to auto backup like 7 Windows pc's on a FreeNAS Server (running 11.2), i just install the backup pc plugin and bru server, but i dont know how to configure it, so i decide to use a program on each PC to do the backup on the NAS, what program do u guys think that it will work? win 10 on all machines, and i need that the backup do it in backgroud, thanks in advance

Skro

Contributor
You can set up Windows Backup and Restore and set it to save to your NAS or the free version of Veeam is very popular for individual PCs.

Redcoat

MVP
Veeam all the way!

diedrichg

Wizard
If you just need file copy (rather than full system backup) I'll suggest running Resilio, Syncthing or Nextcloud in a jail.

However, after reading up on Veeam, it can do file level as well:
Free Veeam Backup for Windows options include:
  • Entire computer: Get image-based backup for your entire PC while automatically excluding unnecessary files, such as the Recycle Bin contents, temporary and page files.
  • Volume-level: Utilize block-level backup for selected drives or volumes on your computer (e.g., system volume, data volume, etc.).
  • File-level: Choose individual file masks and folders to back up; the built-in wizard helps you quickly include standard system folders and personal files.

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
If you're only working with Windows PCs, Veeam it is. If you're doing file-level backup and you're working with a range of different clients such as Windows, OS X, IOS, Android and Linux, it's hard to go past Resilio.

Last edited:

djjaeger82

Dabbler
Any suggestions for remote (over internet) backups? I used to run WHS2011 with hamachi vpn to backup my parents, aunts/uncles, siblings computers but I'm looking for something more friendly that doesn't require VPN. Something that would let me turn freenas into an internet/cloud storage server that they could all point their Win10 machines to backup to (preferably using built-in windows backup utility, but if not a free agent that could be installed remote). I'm sure many of you support your family's tech support needs, and can feel my pain...