danielavalos

Cadet
Hi, im new here, im trying to do a backup server with a cpu with an intel core i7 4th gen, 16gb of ram, 1 external disk of 2tb, 1 internal disk of 2tb, and 1 disk of 500gb (that i will use for the OS i think), i need to backup like 7 windows computers there, to storage his documents in case of any problem, at the moment my "server" pc is running windows 10pro, should i install FreeNAS directly on the hard drive or is better to create a virtual machine on windows that runs the freeNAS system?

And what is the best software to install on the windows computers to make them to create an auto backup weekly?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Exactly what hardware are you using there?
It sounds like it's not even close to what you need.

melloa

Wizard
It sounds like it's not even close to what you need

I agree with you. There are so many solutions out there that I can't even count on my fingers and toes, but all start with sizing the need.

danielavalos

Cadet
Exactly what hardware are you using there?
It sounds like it's not even close to what you need.

Thanks for ur response, like i say, my "server" its a intel i7 4th gen (4790), 16gb of RAM, 1 Toshiba internal hdd of 500gb, 1 Toshiba internal hdd of 2tb (DT01ACA200) and 1 Seagate external hdd of 2tb, i only need that all the computers do an auto backup to the server, i was thinking that the best solution was FreeNAS and install an auto backup program on every PC and that program should save the backup on the server, do u think that there is a better solution? Thanks for the advice im new on this.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

danielavalos

Cadet
"Exactly hardware"

Motherboard
ASUSTek Computer z97 pro gamer rev x.0x
16gb, 2 x 8gb hyper fury DDR3 blue
NVIDIA Geforce 210 (1024mb dedicated)
Sentey chasis

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
is better to create a virtual machine on windows that runs the freeNAS system?
No, you can't do hardware pass-through using Windows and FreeNAS needs direct access to the hardware.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

melloa

Wizard
So u say that freeNAS isnt the best solution? What would u recommend?

What I meant was that there were multiple back-up solutions available, but you needed to size your need in order to get the server with the right configuration.

FreeNAS is the best solution available for data safety, I have no doubts, but you also need to review the hardware requirements as you need to get it right.

You mention the use of a external harddrive and nvidia card. The external HD is not recommended as can and will cause data issues; the nvidia card not going to be used.

So, size your need - space, memory, cpu speed - and take a look at Hardware recommendation to see what the iX folks recommend.

danielavalos

Cadet
What I meant was that there were multiple back-up solutions available, but you needed to size your need in order to get the server with the right configuration.

FreeNAS is the best solution available for data safety, I have no doubts, but you also need to review the hardware requirements as you need to get it right.

You mention the use of a external harddrive and nvidia card. The external HD is not recommended as can and will cause data issues; the nvidia card not going to be used.

So, size your need - space, memory, cpu speed - and take a look at Hardware recommendation to see what the iX folks recommend.

Im looking for some information and tutorials to use the Bru Server plugin for the backups, in other case im going to schedule a daily backup on windows and i want that to storage on the freenas server, and share that backup on my network, i put an example, pc 1, pc 2 and server, i want that both storage the backups on the server, and if im at pc 1 i wanna see the backup of the pc 2 in case i need some document of that pc.

And for the external hdd i could let him out of the server, i dont want to store data on it, i already have like 5 pc backups there, i was thinking that i could connect it to the server and share that info on the network.

Right now i have freeNAS installed on a usb stick of 16gb, and running on the cpu that i told u, im just starting to explore and do the configuration, and see if i can get what i want.
Thanks for ur response and advices guys.