Authorization Setup for Windows Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea

Explorer
I have the following setup: FreeNAS install on custom built server, running Plex and Resilio. I have a Windows PC on the same network that I use to manage the FreeNAS system. I am having a lot of issues with usernames and permissions because I tried to follow instructions, but also implement my own user account strategy. I feel like I overcomplicated things and would like a way to correct my configuration and make my accounts easier to maintain and cleaner. On the Windows network mappins, there are permissions for "Unknown users" with a bunch of random characters. Here is how I have it setup:

I have zvol for my storage. I have 3 Datasets. 1 of which resides inside the other. So I have a Plex Dataset. Storage dataset. Resilio (for phone camera backups) dataset is pointing to a location inside the Storage dataset.

I have the Plex and Storage datasets mappedon my windows machine. I have a custom user group and username that I use for ownership of the datasets (User1 and UserGroup as an example). My windows machine is logged in as "Me" essentially. I set up a username and group (btsync for both) for the resilio setup, per the resilio instructions. I rip my movies on my windows machine and drag them over to the mapped network directories for Plex Dataset. When implementing my Resilio setup, I started getting permission errors when dragging things over to the mapped network drives. I can't change permissions on them either. I don't know what happened.

My question is this: is there an easier, more reliable way to manage authentication and permissions from FreeNAS to Windows? The 2 systems are basically partners, so I want them to be able to communicate freely and operate under the same domain, essentially. What would be the proper way to set up authentication and user accounts on both systems in order to properly manage. I feel like I am getting lost with the different authentication points (Windows SMB shares, datasets, jails, plugins, etc.) and can't get things cleaned up properly to manage it easily. Ideally I would have everything under a single username, since my wife and I are the only ones using the system, but I don't know an easy way to manage that without breaking the Plex or Resilio setups I followed.

Guinea

Explorer
One of the things I would like to do is maybe just create a master user and group on both systems (Windows and FreeNAS) and just use them as the primary permissions for everything and allow everything. It is only me and the wife who use the system, so I just want it to be easy to use and operate and if something breaks...easy to troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.