Cadet
ASUSTOR AS6204T
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014MRVRWG
with
Patriot 1.35V 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - Upgrade
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WIW9GE

I'm running 4 Seagate 3TB IronWolf
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LOOJBRI

I looked at the baked in package for the Asustor, and while I like ASUS, I wanted to be confident in my own data and my own server. Call me a privacy nut, but I just wanted to keep it all something I built. So I went looking and landed on FreeNAS. It loads and works, but this is my first attempt and I wanted to make sure some veterans didn't see HUGE problems with what I'm doing.

Background
I was originally going to run a CCTV server on there and use it to store the video, but I'm worried about performance in the future (specifically as I get the drives filled up with video) and I'm not able to do much processing over the video. I was running Shinobi in an iocage. While that worked, I'm looking for more options coming up, which i think will require a video card, so i'm moving to ZoneMinder (ZM) on another box I'm dedicating to that.

Thoughts and Issues
That leads me back to my NAS. I now have FreeNAS giving me ZFS (which i'm debating if it's the best option for me or just the hotness in my mind), with very little else going on. I have a huge part of the zpool that will be going to CCTV storage, but I'm also looking to setup the NextCloud plugin and allow the family to have their own private boxes, i'm assuming that won't take much power or memory and i'm 100% sure they won't be sucking up much space on the drives, so I'm safe there too.

Struggles
So some of this is me second guessing myself. The other has been the difficulties I've had using the system the way I want.

The CCTV box straddles two networks, one is completely wired and cut off from the net and the other is my main network containing my internet connection. The private network connects all the cameras to the server and allows the main network to see the ZM side of things from the main network (and possibly later from the web a la ZMNinja).

Again this server used to be an iocage and the troubles I've had are with keeping that dual connection working across power cycles in my iocage servers. I've been lurking the forums and reading tuts as well as opinion pieces, and I know the iocage thing is like that, using it the way I'm tying to is not really ideal (will take any suggestions here) but requires me to bridge my two main ports to the two vnets (paired of course).

I know I ramble, but I tell you all that so you know the CCTV server is leaving the NAS hardware, but I would like to have a lightweight interface for other things I'm putting into the home network with HomeAssistant (Hass). I will want to make the same dual connection for this server as well since I'm using the same internal network to control everything in as private as setup as I can.

Do you think this setup would support the CCTV feeds, NextCloud server/space, AND a Hass server?
Am I asking too much out of the hardware or FreeNAS?
Is the networking something I'm just looking at wrong?
Does anyone have or know where to find a plugin or code set that would allow control of the front LED screen?

To answer the point of the Forum, yes it works. The over all question is was FreeNAS a good idea? I like it, but am I hurting this things capabilities because I want to tinker and use the ZFS hotness?

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.