Who manufactures NAS Chassis for Asustor

Status
Not open for further replies.

netmass

Cadet
Hi all,

Anybody know who manufactures the chassis for the Asustor AS-608T? I'd love to get my hands on one and put in some ECC, a better processor, and run ESXi with a FreeNAS guest (using most of the storage) and another guest that will utilize the features of FreeNAS shares.

The things that I'm looking for are: ZFS, LED Display, USB 3, desktop form factor, hot swap of at least 6 drives external. It looks like the perfect chassis for my needs but I don't need the Asus stuff.

Any thoughts appreciated!

- Steve

Thats a proprietary case you're looking at here. So most likely the only way to get your hands on the case only is to buy a busted unit.

Also, USB 3 is still a no-go on FreeNAS and driving the display of the case may also not be possible.

You should rather try to get a miniITX or microATX case that has a nice design and hotswap bays

netmass

Cadet
I figured that was the case (no pun intended ;). However... I find it a bummer. I have not found a good NASish looking MicroATX case. I'm sure they are out there. Lenovo has a great case... but its a full NAS unit. U-NAS does not have an LCD display and only sports UBS 2.0. Norco ITX-S4 only has 4 slots. Cenbro SR301 may be possible. Corsair Obsidian Series 250D doesn't appear to have Hot-Swap... Lian-Li and Fractal are contenders but look like servers more than NAS. Not sure what to think of istarusa and SansDigital. Will probably try something with Silverstone SST-DS380B unless I see a better option.

Anybody else have a chassis I missed?

I'll tell you again your issue with USB isn't an issue at all because simply put: DON'T use USB3 with FreeNAS

It's disabled by default because in the current state its very likely to do nasty things to your data and system

netmass

Cadet
Most excellent info on the USB3 for FreeNAS. Many thanks! However, the USB3 is not intended for the FreeNAS guest (running on top of ESXi).

Status
Not open for further replies.