ASRock N3150-ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Plus the amount of power that an HDD uses in idle is around 6-7 watts [...]

3TB WD Red HDDs consume only 2.7W per drive when spinning idle as per spec sheet. So there's even less to save when spinning them down. Replacing a failed drive (if one fails due to spinning them down) is less economical than just letting them spin.

I'm running four 3TB WD Red myself. These drives really consume very little energy per drive and are really comparatively silent. One of the best models available for letting HDDs spin with little impact for the environment. If capacity is not too low for the intended purpose, that is.

Stux

MVP

Stux

MVP
Another thing in mind is, is it smart to use a SSD to run FreeNAS and it jails on?

Yes. Except you can’t* as you can’t add any datasets to the boot disk.

It makes sense to use an ssd for booting instead of usb thumb drives if you have one, and then you can use it for the system dataset and swap. Which means, yes, you could spin down the drives.

Personally I’d use 4 drives in RaidZ2. You’d get the same storage, have a single pool, it’s ve faster and have better redundancy

*you don’t want to.

MarkosMark

Dabbler
You lose redundancy on the 3TB for media. But if you are ok with that risk, then it's definitely doable.
Media redundancy isn't that important. And I can always add a second 3TB drive for redundancy later on right?
I believe I have explained this to you in another thread (or was that some other OP). Anyway, this will cause your load count cycle on the HDDs to go up quickly. Plus the amount of power that an HDD uses in idle is around 6-7 watts, so you won't save much because each time a drive starts up, it pulls in about 30-33W. So you might not end up saving much.
I think you confuse me with someone else, I've only posted in this thread. But I'll skip the idea of spinning the disk down.
Is it a bad idea to shut the system down from 11:00 till 02:00 (so off during the day) and only let it run from 02:00 - 11:00 (so active during the night). This would save me some costs right?
SSDs will use less power than HDDs. If you have the money, you can go with all SSDs. You are going to have only a 2x3TB and you will be able to get that size in a SSD but it might be expensive so again no advantage in terms of saving money in power because of the upfront cost.
I didn't mean a SSD for storage, but for the system-files/jails/etc. But I think this doesn't matter cost-wise when I shut the system down during the day. And perfomance-wise also not I guess.

3TB WD Red HDDs consume only 2.7W per drive when spinning idle as per spec sheet. So there's even less to save when spinning them down. Replacing a failed drive (if one fails due to spinning them down) is less economical than just letting them spin.

I'm running four 3TB WD Red myself. These drives really consume very little energy per drive and are really comparatively silent. One of the best models available for letting HDDs spin with little impact for the environment. If capacity is not too low for the intended purpose, that is.
Okay this would only be 12 euro's per year when the (3) drives would be idle for about 15 hours a day. That's not much :)

What was the mistake?
I enabled/disabled the ports to see what ports were the ASMedia ports, but I somehow didn't save the settings where I enabled them again :')

Yes. Except you can’t* as you can’t add any datasets to the boot disk.

It makes sense to use an ssd for booting instead of usb thumb drives if you have one, and then you can use it for the system dataset and swap. Which means, yes, you could spin down the drives.

Personally I’d use 4 drives in RaidZ2. You’d get the same storage, have a single pool, it’s ve faster and have better redundancy

*you don’t want to.
I don't have a ssd drive, I do have to buy it first. So I will only do that if it makes sense perfomance-wise and cost-wise.
I'll look into 4 drives in RaidZ2. If I want to use this, do I need another drive (for example a SSD :) ) for the system dataset and swap? Or can I still do this on the 4 drives in RaidZ2? Because my motherboard has only 4 sata slots.

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
I think you confuse me with someone else, I've only posted in this thread.
Must be someone else. I had a similar conversation with him/her.
Okay this would only be 12 euro's per year when the (3) drives would be idle for about 15 hours a day. That's not much :)
Yes it's not. Now add in the fact that due to constant power-on/power-off cycles, your HDDs will die sooner than compared to keeping them on all the time. That would be significant cost because the 2TB and 3TB drives do cost quite a bit of money. At least more than what you will save by powering it off everyday.
I don't have a ssd drive, I do have to buy it first.
Or can I still do this on the 4 drives in RaidZ2? Because my motherboard has only 4 sata slots.
You could do one of 2 things:
  1. I would just use 4 disks (same size) in RAIDZ2. Then use USBs for my install because of a lack of SATA ports.
  2. Add in a PCIE HBA expansion card (either SATA based or SAS based)
Option 1 would be cheaper. I feel that for home environments USBs are fine as boot media. I have 6 SATA ports on my board and my case supports 6 drives. So I ended up using an USB key as my boot medium for the longest time without *any* failure. I am still on the same USB key for the past few years. Maybe I am lucky, but maybe USBs are not as bad as they are made out to be.
If you have extra SATA ports then I would recommend using a SSD, but since you lack SATA ports, as I did, I'd just use a USB -- mirror them if you want.

MarkosMark

Dabbler
I'm going to reinstall my system again and I want to know what's the best way to go.
Is it a bad idea to shut the system down during the day and let it boot only in the night? So per day, the system will only be on for 8 hours and off for 16 hours. System boot at 02:00 (AM) and system shutdown at 11:00 (AM)
So there will only be 1 spin-down/up per day. Is this much worse than being on 24/7?

And another question, I don't know if I can ask it here. I already downloaded a bunch of stuff with SickRage/Couchpotato/Transmission on my smaller test hdd. If I copy these files to the new 3TB disks and reinstall all the jails and stuff. How can I configure it that the system wil recognize the files that are already there? Will it autodetect? Because SickRage and Couchpotato find the files to download and Transmission will download them right? But does SickRage and Couchpotato see what files are already there? Because what if SickRage/Couchpotato find another version of the same movie/serie, it will download it double? (I hope it's clear what I mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.