FreeNAS freezing and crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogru

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I've recently updated the hardware on my FreeNAS to:

ASROCK N3150-ITX plus 2x Kingston 8GB RAM. Which mean I had to reinstall the Free NAS.

It all went well I've re attached the Data drive re-installed the jails etc. When I boot the FreeNAS up it all works perfectly but at some point it crash.

After it crash I can Ping the device but I cant access it via SSH or HTTPS. The SMB also is not accessible.

Build FreeNAS-9.10.1-U4 (ec9a7d3)

Please find attached the error message from the scree attached to the box.

freenas.jpg

It happens once a day.

Anyone can help me?

Kind Regards,
Ogru.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You have a problem with whatever drive is da0--either with the drive itself, or cabling/power. Which drive is da0?

Nothing about that motherboard sounds very good for FreeNAS, but it seems like it ought to work.

Ogru

Cadet
Code:
<ST4000DM000-1F2168 CC52>		  at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<ST4000DM000-1F2168 CC52>		  at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (ada1,pass1)
<ST4000DM000-1F2168 CC52>		  at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada2,pass2)
<ST4000DM000-1F2168 CC52>		  at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (ada3,pass3)
<Kingston DT 100 G2 PMAP>		  at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da0)

Looks like its the System USB drive. Do I reed this correct?

Cheers,
Ogru.

Ogru

Cadet
Unfortunately it didn't help. But I think it might be some kind of power management feature of the mother board.

I've disabled any kind of deep sleep and power saving options in the bios.

Lets see how that goes.

Cheers,
Ogru.

Ogru

Cadet
At what time?

Hi,

There is no pattern. Sometimes it happens twice a day.

Just tried to access FreeNAS via SSH and http and it just crushed.
But at the same time when the message from my screenshot above is showing up on the console I can still access the movies on the NAS via kodi (SMB) also MySQL server running as a jail is working correctly because without it kodi wouldn't boot correctly.

Changing options on the BIOS didn't help.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Ogru.

IsNoGood

Cadet
Have same problem, but it happens on data copy(moving) between dataaets on the pool via samba.

Отправлено с моего Redmi Note 3 через Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The asrock n3150 is a terrible motherboard and probably causing all your issues. It only has 2 sata ports which is dumb for a Nas, it has a realtek nic which completely sucks, it has onboard audio and it's way too cheap to even look at if you're building a decent computer. Get a motherboard from the supported hardware list and all your problems will go away.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ogru

Cadet
The asrock n3150 is a terrible motherboard and probably causing all your issues. It only has 2 sata ports which is dumb for a Nas, it has a realtek nic which completely sucks, it has onboard audio and it's way too cheap to even look at if you're building a decent computer. Get a motherboard from the supported hardware list and all your problems will go away.

I think you are talking about different MB. This one have 4 SATA ports. Anyway ...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think you are talking about different MB. This one have 4 SATA ports. Anyway ...
What ever it still has all the other problems. This board cost less than some cpu coolers. There is no way it's a good motherboard for a Nas.

m0nkey_

MVP
Aside from the cheap motherboard, have you tried replacing the USB drive used for booting? The Kingston Data Traveller USB drives are known to do a crap job. Get yourself a SanDisk Ultra Fit drive (usually $10 on Amazon) and try with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.