FreeNAS-11.0-U4 keeps crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonestatue

Cadet
I have FreeNAS-11.0-U4 and it's been randomly crashing for the past few months. Restarting the computer will fix it until it crashes again. It started a few weeks apart then gradually decreased the amount of time it took from a restart to a crash. I reinstalled Freenas on a different flash drive and it still crashes. I booted up Linux Mint and let it run for a few days without it crashing. Here is a picture I took of the monitor hooked up to Freenas after it crashes.

32706679_593254187727674_1919176904670183424_o.jpg

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Can you give a rundown on all the hardware you are using for this?
Was it new or used hardware?

stonestatue

Cadet
motherboard - AS Rock AM1B-ITX
processor - AMD Sempron(tm) 3850 APU with Radeon(tm) R3, 1.3 ghz
memory - PNY 8gb 8gbh2x04e99927 (two of them, 16 gb total)
hard drive - WD Red 4tb (four of them, 16 tb total)
power supply: Asus GPS-300-AB, 300 watts

Everything was bought new from Microcenter and the system was built new in November 2014.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That is an incredibly under powered CPU. I'm surprised it even runs. What function is the system handling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. FreeNAS is not Linux, not even close

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think something's really wrong with your hardware. That output is pure gibberish.

stonestatue

Cadet
PS. FreeNAS is not Linux, not even close
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Linux and Freenas are one and the same. I meant that I booted up Linux Mint on a different flash drive to rule out hardware and during the time that Linux Mint ran (three days), it didn't exhibit any problems that I noticed.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What do you think is most likely the culprit? Processor, memory, or motherboard?
That is a tough call...
motherboard - AS Rock AM1B-ITX
processor - AMD Sempron(tm) 3850 APU with Radeon(tm) R3, 1.3 ghz
That CPU is tremendously underpowered for the task, almost any task, but that should just make the system slow. Super slow.
I am looking at the system board specs and see it has a Realtek network interface and I think that might be the problem...
There is so much wrong with that system board and CPU, I would just replace them both, especially since you say it has been in service since
Everything was bought new from Microcenter and the system was built new in November 2014.
It probably just got tired and it is time for a new system board.

Seriously, if I were in your position, I wouldn't wait, I would get a new system board and CPU. What chassis is this mounted in, if you have room, I would suggest a larger board instead of one of these teeny tiny ones. Something like this would work well:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-Sup...w-E97378-001-Heatsink-I-O-Shield/332618846867
You can even use your existing memory with it. Just put one of these CPUs in there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon...Quad-Core-CPU-Processor-LGA-1155/163021843019

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If I get a Xeon processor, is upgrading to ECC memory worth it?
If you are willing to spend for memory. It's really high prices right now are hard to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.