Ryzen Stability on 11.0-U4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wackymole

Explorer
Loaded up 11.1 -U5. I scrubbed my existing drive. I did get an alerts about can't open "sequence file in cache directory". No crash though. I am tired of these little problems so I am going to load up ESXI. I know that works so I am going to have some VM fun. I will reevaluate once 11.2 becomes more bug free in a few months.

Summary :
  1. Black screen frozen screen seems to be fixed for all OS's with Ryzen with the "typical" power settings, overclock or c6 disabling.
  2. 11.2 beta seems to be very promising. UI is looking more and more polished, but a ton of bugs. I ran the Nightlies for 30 days without crashing freenas Ryzen 1700.
  3. 11.1 -U5. With BIOS fix probably will be very stable, but someone else will have to test it. - Windows VMs on ryzen are a no go on 11.1
  4. No blackscreen on Type 1 hypervisors since the beginning.
Good job Devs and the Community for your hard work. We still have a ways to go, but hopefully in several more months Freenas Ryzen will be business ready.

diskdiddler

Wizard
hopefully in several more months Freenas Ryzen will be business ready.

Embarassing this is still going on, Ryzen is 18 months old now I think.
Love to know if the enterprise Epyc customers are having issues.

salvapost

Cadet
Any update? I got a spare Ryzen 7 1700. I was thinking to use it to make a NAS, (my first NAS). It's worth all the effort with all the issues or a should go for a proved stable system. Thanks

chrisjenx

Cadet
Any update? I got a spare Ryzen 7 1700. I was thinking to use it to make a NAS, (my first NAS). It's worth all the effort with all the issues or a should go for a proved stable system. Thanks

Yeah I'm quite surprised, but from @wackymole said, sounds like 11.2 might finally be getting there... I'll use my i7 for now and look at Ryzen when 11.2 matures and I need to move hardware around.

wackymole

Explorer

The
11.2-BETA3 is almost here, but I have moved on now. Running my Ryzen with ESXI and its great. You can always VM freenas, for other people its been running stable since day 1 on ryzen. 11.2 just has so many fixes that I think are necessary, but you can't run a beta on a production server. Plex with ryzen freenas will someday make me come back though.

chrisjenx

Cadet
Cool good to know, I'm kinda avoiding ESXI, but good to know that's working for you. Might try unRaid see how that goes. (Unless anyone here has more exp with that).
I just generally like my Storage and Virtualization on different hardware. But maybe that's just me...

diskdiddler

Wizard
ServeTheHome have finally managed to review some AMD Snowy Owl 3000 series CPUs and as expected, it's a heck of a performer.
Is anyone in this thread running AMD hardware on 11.2 beta without issues, besides wackymole?

Be nice to see this permenantly squashed. I have AMD hardware now (Turion) and it's been really great.

newfreenas

Dabbler
I just checked the fix list for 11.2 [0] and I did not see anything in regards to AMD CPU's, I saw one item for Intel 29074, is it possible I am missing it? I am looking to put together an AMD build, it seems a lot of people have success with it but .when I read this thread it also appears there are a lot of issues? any thoughts on (mis) using an AMD 2950X and bhyve heavy hypervisor? saw no issues listed for bhyve in the 11.2 release in 7 days... again I may be missing it...

[0] https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues?fixed_version_id=478&set_filter=1&status_id=*

diskdiddler

Wizard
I just checked the fix list for 11.2 [0] and I did not see anything in regards to AMD CPU's, I saw one item for Intel 29074, is it possible I am missing it? I am looking to put together an AMD build, it seems a lot of people have success with it but .when I read this thread it also appears there are a lot of issues? any thoughts on (mis) using an AMD 2950X and bhyve heavy hypervisor? saw no issues listed for bhyve in the 11.2 release in 7 days... again I may be missing it...

[0] https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues?fixed_version_id=478&set_filter=1&status_id=*

I think what issues remain will be fixed eventually, the main one is some kind of pur power issue. It's a Linux kernel thing though I think? You can see a link to the thread posted here several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.