Ryzen Business Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

wackymole

Explorer
Hello everyone!
I am building a server for a client of mine and I am interested in some feedback from the community. This is my first FreeNAS build, and I have pretty limited experience in file storage, but I enjoy the challenge. As this is a Ryzen build, I really want to documents my challenges and bugs for the community at large.
My client needs a server that can handle basic file storage, windows VMs, PLEX, databases, phones and firewall security(pfsense). I originally considered a DL380 G7, but the power consumption would probably be double that of Ryzen. Everything that I read about ZFS and btrfs is extremely exciting, and FreeNAS eventually won out because of the flexibility and VMs.

Parts List:
  • Silverstone Technology CS380B Silverstone
  • Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter
  • Kingston Value Ram 2 Sticks 16 GB KVR21E15D8/16 (32GB ECC)
  • AMD RYZEN 1700 8 core
  • Rosewill ARC Series 450w
  • PNY GeForce GTX 1050
  • ASRock AB350 PRO 4
  • 2 * 4 TB WD Red ( different sources)
  • 32 flash drive (OS)
  • 240 GB Sandisk SSD G26
I will keep this post updated as I progress on the build.
  1. Assembled Everything--Success UEFI boot screen!
  2. Checked Settings -SMT-yes, IOMMU -yes
  3. Correctly put the Ram in slot (a2, b2) dual channel
  4. Ran memtest86+ for Ram check-passed
  5. Ran Ubuntu 17.04 -- ECC check through dmesg-- ECC enabled
  6. Ran FreeNAS 11 -stable -- looks good, stable, user files good, custom volumes
  7. installed plex plugin-- worked, tried VM- no good-
  8. Could not get a blank VM to start.. even more troubling can't find assign more than 1 virtual core (only one virtual core supported warning)
  9. checked settings
  10. Updated to FreeNAS 11 nightly builds-- still not fixed...
  11. Given up on running everything through FreeNAS for now... need to add a bug report for Ryzen FreeNAS VMs
  12. Booted up Vsphere VWare..
  13. Checked ESXi-- no VM so recheck bios-- SVM (why?) not disabled so I enabled.
  14. Rechecked FreeNas 11-Release- VM's work perfectly.. all 16 threads with smt and SVM
  15. - skip down
*11 status update:
I knew it was going to pretty experimental trying to run everything through FreeNAS, so I will try to switch to a type 1 hypervisor (
vSphere Hypervisor)-- I haven't run a VM server before, so should be interesting.. I will assign the 4TB drives to FreeNAS and just use it for what it was designed to do( file storage). I will use the SSD for the databases and unimportant VM on it. I will probably assign a few virtual cores to Plex server as well.

*12 VMware vSphere 6.5a still has the SMT bug.. I think they fixed it for 6.5.1, but the free version of the software has not updated to that version yet.. no big deal SMT->off -> no pink/purple screen. ( might be a few days until a progress further(busy)) * gave me the idea to try FreeNas with SMT off

*13 Virtualization should work now.. ESXI works with SMT off in 6.5.. when I get back I will recheck FreeNAS-- I also might take the cpu cooler off and check the manufacturer day for the other SMT bug

*14 FreeNas VM's/jails are working. All 16 threads. SMT enabled. I am now going to run the kill ryzen script on a live usb to test SMT stuff. At this point though FreeNas is working as intended and looks stable. I will update with the results of my test and determine whether I am going to run ESXI or FreeNas as the head OS.

*15 I don't have a passable ryzen cpu. kill-ryzen.sh got an error in 93 seconds, however it was never a segway error. I have talked to an AMD rep and thought about it a while, I will never use this server to compile anyone on so this synthetic test will probably never result in any damage. Since I am opting to not replace the system cpu, the system will probably never be considered "production" ready. However I am continuing with the project with the hopes of production ready system.

*16 I have been working a lot on testing VM's under bhyvee... It has been very interesting. FreeNas has been mostly stable for its part. There are a few bugs that still need to be address that have forced me to restore to factory default, but I am getting faster at restoring. The UEFI boot loader under bhyvee has been causing me a good deal of problems. I have successfully gotten Ubuntu and FreeBPX(centOs) stable and shutting down correctly.

*17 pfSense has been causing a lot of problems... It does not even want to load the .iso with bhyvee.

*18 I can confirm that 6.5 U1 ESXI does fix the SMT bug... all 16 threads available.

*19 Props to the 11.0-U3 doc editors-- updated for tips* "Best Quality on RealVnc" and grep POPCNT /var/run/dmesg.boot for amd
things that I had to learn from other sources

*20 I have decided to move the firewall to another device(instead of VM)... it was causing a lot of issues and a firewall/router should be a separate device anyway. ESXI could do it, but the FreeNAS had to be VM'd with SATA passthrough and you need to spend a decent amount of money for compatible SATA passthrough cards I think. I could not get my 88SE9215 to work with 6.5

*21 So I have had my fun and now I have to get something stable. To the point:

I have decided to go FreeNAS with 2 VMs (ubuntu and freepbx). I will run an unraid server for mirrored copying and a windows VM. The data will also be copied offsite to another offsite NAS. -- I will do a real post summarizing everything and hopefully giving an idea of the stability, and the bugs that still exist. I hope to put almost everything back on this server once AMD processor is fully supported. I hope to report on the stability in 3 months.

I welcome any feedback and suggestions. Thanks - Wackymole

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hello everyone!
I am building a server for a client of mine and I am interested in some feedback from the community. This is my first FREENAS build, and I have pretty limited experience in file storage, but I enjoy the challenge. As this is a Ryzen build, I really want to documents my challenges and bugs for the community at large.
My client needs a server that can handle basic file storage, windows VMs, PLEX, databases, phones and firewall security(pfsense). I originally considered a DL380 G7, but the power consumption would probably be double that of Ryzen. Everything that I read about ZFS and btrfs is extremely exciting, and FREENAS eventually won out because of the flexibility and VMs.

Parts List:
  • Silverstone Technology CS380B Silverstone
  • Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter
  • Kingston Value Ram 2 Sticks 16 GB KVR21E15D8/16 (32GB ECC)
  • AMD RYZEN 1700 8 core
  • Rosewill ARC Series 450w
  • PNY GeForce GTX 1050
  • ASRock AB350 PRO 4
  • 2 * 4 TB WD Red ( different sources)
  • 32 flash drive (OS)
  • 240 GB Sandisk SSD G26
I will keep this post updated as I progress on the build.
  1. Assembled Everything--Success UEFI boot screen!
  2. Checked Settings -SMT-yes, IOMMU -yes
  3. Correctly put the Ram in slot (a2, b2) dual channel
  4. Ran memtest86+ for Ram check-passed
  5. Ran Ubuntu 17.04 -- ECC check through dmesg-- ECC enabled
  6. Ran Freenas 11 -stable -- looks good, stable, user files good, custom volumes
  7. installed plex plugin-- worked, tried VM- no good-
  8. Could not get a blank VM to start.. even more troubling can't find assign more than 1 virtual core (only one virtual core supported warning)
  9. checked settings
  10. Updated to Freenas 11 nightly builds-- still not fixed...
  11. Given up on running everything through FreeNas for now... need to add a bug report for Ryzen freenas VMs
*11 status update:
I knew it was going to pretty experimental trying to run everything through freenas, so I will try to switch to a type 1 hypervisor (
vSphere Hypervisor)-- I haven't run a VM server before, so should be interesting.. I will assign the 4TB drives to freenas and just use it for what it was designed to do( file storage). I will use the SSD for the databases and unimportant VM on it. I will probably assign a few virtual cores to Plex server as well.

I welcome any feedback and suggestions. Thanks - Wackymole
You're breaking new ground here. I don't think anybody else has built a system with ryzen, so I don't know if anybody will be able to help you with this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am building a server for a client of mine and I am interested in some feedback from the community. This is my first FreeNAS build, and I have pretty limited experience in file storage, but I enjoy the challenge. As this is a Ryzen build, I really want to documents my challenges and bugs for the community at large.
Can I ask, why did you choose an untested processor when building a server for a client? If I were building a system for a customer, I would want to do something proven and reliable. FreeNAS is all that, but only on known hardware. Ryzen is too new. The devs may not even be looking at it yet.

wackymole

Explorer
For any other client I would not have chosen such an unproven solution, but I am in a unique position to service this network. Even though it is a production server, it can go down on evenings and weekends for maintenance. Probably the biggest reason for choosing this ryzen system is cost & energy. I built the server for $1300 and it has the horsepower that they need at 8/16 threads. It also consumes half the power of a used DL380 system I was looking at.

The server it not needed for another month, so I have some time to play around with it, but I am trying to give the client the option of having a cheap and efficient server. Perhaps I am enjoying the experimentation process a little too much for a production product, but if I am not able to get FreeNAS/unraid/VMs stable then at worst I will buy the system and get them an intel solution.

It has been over 6 months since release, hopefully server community can start putting some more resources around the new processor. Someone has to take the leap, hopefully my little contributions can be helpful.

Stux

MVP
Would love to know if it works...

If it were me doing this for a client, and I wanted to play with Ryzen, it'd be on me if it doesn't work. Of course, I'm sure FreeNAS will work with Ryzen eventually (if it doesn't already), but I have no idea if *anyone* has run FreeNAS on ryzen yet.

Please let us know how it goes :)

And meanwhile, I'm actually planning a Ryzen workstation in the next couple of weeks... guess I could test FreeNAS on that...

Huib

Explorer
And meanwhile, I'm actually planning a Ryzen workstation in the next couple of weeks... guess I could test FreeNAS on that...

Same here,

I'm expecting parts on Friday for a workstation build.
Parts haven't been picked at all for FreeNAS, but I could give it a go before I have to install Windows on it :(.
I'm guessing getting the VMs to work properly will be the big challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
Same here,

I'm expecting parts on Friday for a workstation build.
Parts haven't been picked at all for FreeNas, but I could give it a go before I have to install Windows on it :(.
I'm guessing getting the VM's to work properly will be the big challenge.

Looking forward to your results ;)

Stux

MVP
Indeed this is interesting, AMD has confirmed https://hothardware.com/news/amd-confirms-rare-ryzen-smt-bug-and-fix so I would have waited for the 8 core Threadripper which supposedly is not affected by the smt bug.

Yerp. Was just looking at that... and there's this work-around for another Ryzen bug which affects FreeBSD...

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=321899

And there's this one too...
http://techreport.com/news/32362/amd-confirms-linux-performance-marginality-problem-on-ryzen

Basically, Ryzen chips manufactured pre 1725US (which I guess means week 25 2017), can't compile.

(and as someone who compiles all day... if you can't trust the compile, then it can't compile.)

Guess I'm not working on that Ryzen work-station anymore...

Huib

Explorer
Looking forward to your results ;)
Unfortunately I build the workstation and it immediately got ripped from my hands when our FEM engineer saw the performance (mistake from my part)..... So I don't know when / if I will be able to play with it :( might have to build a new one.

I do hope some fix will be available at some time since the performance for the price is just insane! (Ryzen 1700 undervolted and overclocked to 3.65 Ghz. That's a very conservative overclock but it still rocks)

Sorry to let you guys down .....

csutcliff

Cadet
I've had a Ryzen ESXi box since around the time of the launch (I was the first to figure out the smt=disabled fix for the then current ESXi version).

I've had FreeNAS virtualised with a 960 Evo NVMe SSD & 16 port SAS HBA (8x8TB Seagate Archive HDDs + 8x200GB DC S3710 SSDs) passed through since then and no issues.

I'm also using a 1700 + ASRock build although the x370 SLI board as I wanted the pci-e slots for the HBA and a 10g intel network card. 64GB ECC appears to be doing its job (ASRock has the best Ryzen ECC support).

If I can help with anything let me know!

wackymole

Explorer
Thanks Csutcliff for the offer. It is good to know someone else has been successful.

The build has come a long way. I have updated my original post. The highlights:

1: My system did not pass the kill-ryzen.sh so take that as you should not compile unless you have an updated ryzen chip.

2: ESXi free verision 6.5a does not have the update to correct for the SMT bug, as csutcliff figured out this requires smt=off, though the bug has been already been fixed according to the patch notes, the free version doesn't get this patch until later on. I estimate 6 months. That means you are limited to 7 or 8 VMs max. -

3: I have done a lot of VM testing as FreeNas type 2 hypervisor with bhyve and I like the for the most part. A couple of EFI bootloader bugs that are annoying. Ubuntu and freepbx are stable and correctly shutdown. I have not figured out how to install pFsense in this environment though. There is only http://davidnelson.me/?p=439 and https://murf.se/iohyve-and-pci-passthru/ , but I can't even get pFsense to load the .iso

4: I knew pFsense would be the hardest to get on bhyve, and so I am reconsidering ESXi again... There are a lot of limitations with Esxi free version (SMT, battery backup, usb.. etc) SATA passthrough is working though for the freenas data drives.

More testing required. If anyone has any suggestions for pfSense that would be great!

*Edit pfSense not fpsense
*Edit 2- ESXi U1 does fix SMT... all 16 threads(60 day trial)

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Thanks Csutcliff for the offer. It is good to know someone else has been successful.

The build has come a long way. I have updated my original post. The highlights:

1: My system did not pass the kill-ryzen.sh so take that as you should not compile unless you have an updated ryzen chip.

2: ESXi free verision 6.5a does not have the update to correct for the SMT bug, as csutcliff figured out this requires smt=off, though the bug has been already been fixed according to the patch notes, the free version doesn't get this patch until later on. I estimate 6 months. That means you are limited to 7 or 8 VMs max. -

3: I have done a lot of VM testing as FreeNas type 2 hypervisor with bhyve and I like the for the most part. A couple of EFI bootloader bugs that are annoying. Ubuntu and freepbx are stable and correctly shutdown. I have not figured out how to install pFsense in this environment though. There is only http://davidnelson.me/?p=439 and https://murf.se/iohyve-and-pci-passthru/ , but I can't even get pFsense to load the .iso

4: I knew pFsense would be the hardest to get on bhyve, and so I am reconsidering ESXi again... There are a lot of limitations with Esxi free version (SMT, battery backup, usb.. etc) SATA passthrough is working though for the freenas data drives.

More testing required. If anyone has any suggestions for pfSense that would be great!

*Edit pfSense not fpsense
*Edit 2- ESXi U1 does fix SMT... all 16 threads(60 day trial)

You can use your 6.5a key with 6.5U1

wackymole

Explorer
You can use your 6.5a key with 6.5U1

Thanks! I just verified this.
6.5U1 solves a lot of bugs... still a few memory ones floating around though, but more threads!

On a side note if anyone is going to do a sata controller passthrough, save yourself the headache and don't get a cheap one.
*edits 19+

Last edited:

wackymole

Explorer
Can someone do a verification test with an Intel FreeNAS 11.0 U3 please? I am trying to install windows 10 (home) (iso made from windows usb/dvd tool) in a VM. Bhyve.
My install hangs on the windows 10 logo I haven't figured a way to get around it yet. I just want to rule out the processor as the cause.

It seems possible with an Intel in 11-RC4, but a lot of things could have changed. - proof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbTrG3HRrds

https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/6hgbfh/freenas_11_creating_a_windows_vm/dj8bcml/
seems like it is an issue with Bhyve or Freenas since RC4

So far Bhyve:
loves Freepbx
okay with Ubuntu 17.04
hates pfSense (weird since freeBSD)
stalled with win 10

Found the bug link: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/25131
-- will test a nightly build
Any advice? thx

Last edited:

wackymole

Explorer
Final Experimental Update: So I have had my fun, now I have to get something stable for my client!
What I know:
-- FreeNAS has some bugs,
-- FreeNAS on ryzen looks perfectly stable and ready for production. No problem with FreeNAS loaded by itself!

-- Bhyvee has been frustrating, Ubuntu works fine after some tweaks, FreePBX no problem. Windows 10 doesn't install( nightly build actually makes it to the start of install, but crashes)

--Plex and Nextcloud plugins work fine.- Ryzen 1700- 1700 does fine with two 2k streams or 5 1080p streams ( both plugins outdate)[ need a script or something to automatically update the plugins - related https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/25688]

ESXI 6.5U1 is what you want to use for a type 1 hyper visor.16 threads! I had a little difficulty getting it on there, but you should be able to install everything you want from ESXI. (passthrough needs a decent card.. no cheapies?)

Now for my production usage: -- I need VMs, but I don't want to do ESXI.

So for now I will run FreeNAS with 2 or 3 VMs in a production environment. They will be delayed-mirrored with a local Unraid server with a couple Window 10 VMs. ( this will probably go away once Bhyvee gets stable) The main server will also backup to an offsite QNAP NAS that I have.
-- I will use Ubuntu or Freenas for my APC UPS powerdown commands and other scripts

--All this means redundant backups, even though I have absolute confidence in ZFS and hopefully btrfs someday.

-What I have learned. -- A lot -- Coming from only a QNAP NAS to ESXI, FreeNAS, Rockstor, Unraid has been fun and somewhat frustrating. Hopefully this Ryzen build invigorates more resources and people to test out Ryzen and moar bug fixes! I think I will be sticking around and perhaps using that good old CS minor to contribute to some of the bug fixes. ( Just need to get my Git on!)

-- It has been a fun project! - Keep up the good work ! -- WackyMole

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.