SOLVED Frustrated with AMD Ryzen Stability on 11.2-U5

NickF

Guru
Ryzen 3600 on an Asrock Rack X470D4u

Been stable now for months. Had som hiccups specific to the board, not FreeNAS, but have since been resolved.

usern

Dabbler
I started experiencing system lockup issue with ryzen 1700 on Asrock Rack X470D4U with one of the updates from last year. Disabling C-States in BIOS has worked so far.

Glitch01

Dabbler
Kudos on the troubleshooting. Just built Ryzen 1700 on Asus Crosshair Hero VI board with 32 GB of RAM and was having freezing issues after hours to days of running. Disabled C-state on the CPU and will report back.

Dopamin3

Dabbler
Kudos on the troubleshooting. Just built Ryzen 1700 on Asus Crosshair Hero VI board with 32 GB of RAM and was having freezing issues after hours to days of running. Disabled C-state on the CPU and will report back.
Another change I made was getting an LSI 9201-16i HBA in IT Mode for all my hard drives; rather than using the mix of AMD provided SATA ports and ASMedia provided SATA ports. I assume the AMD ones would work okay, but I think the ASMedia ports were flaky. My last suggestion would be getting a proper HBA flashed in IT mode if you still have instability, plus it can carry on to future builds. The 8i ones on eBay go for relatively inexpensive and even the 16i ones have come down in price.

Glitch01

Dabbler
I'm using
Another change I made was getting an LSI 9201-16i HBA in IT Mode for all my hard drives; rather than using the mix of AMD provided SATA ports and ASMedia provided SATA ports. I assume the AMD ones would work okay, but I think the ASMedia ports were flaky. My last suggestion would be getting a proper HBA flashed in IT mode if you still have instability, plus it can carry on to future builds. The 8i ones on eBay go for relatively inexpensive and even the 16i ones have come down in price.
I'm using a 128 gb ssd for the primary os & have 6x 14 tb enterprise wd drives on the native mb sata ports (8 ports). Haven't had an issue with any of the drives dropping off the onboard sata controllers. I also have an LSI SAS 9300-8I controller (in IT mode) I'm running 4x 4 tb toshiba drives leaving me 5x sata ports and an NVMe 3rd gen port free. I may look at getting LSI16i controller down the road if I saturate the current ports. After disabling the C-state for the cpu, I've thrown a ton of stuff at the NAS with no stability issues so far. I'll report back periodically on the stability of the system.

Glitch01

Dabbler
1 week later. I did have a failed 2 tb disk that was replaced. System is still up and running solid. No freezes.

Glitch01

Dabbler
Apparently swapping RAM modules can cause the C-state to re-enable; version of TrueNAS-13.0-U2

Glitch01

Dabbler
Correction on my part; when switching out the RAM the bios reset settings after xyz failed reboots to safe boot. After reconfiguring the bios & running a system update to version 13.0-U2, 7 days solid, no issues with C-state disabled for Ryzen 1700 AMD, MB Asus Crosshair 370 chipset.
1662645303953.png