Ryzen Stability on 11.0-U4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezra

Contributor
But still i encounter 2 fails, the sudden black screen where all fans are still running, needing a hard reboot.
Also I very rarely (had it about 4 times since 6th of Jan) have a frozen screen with the FreeNAS menu (Terminal) also needing a reboot. Both give nothing in the logs, I've setup Remote syslog but like you said only getting
Code:
2018-02-07T08:32:58+01:00 freenas /alert.py: [ws4py:360] Closing message received (1000) 'b'''

Anything else we can do to speed up the bug fixing? Could you link me to the issue thread?

wackymole

Explorer
Keep testing different configurations in the BIOS, I would like it if someone could confirm the same issue in a pure FreeBSD environment and issue a ticket. The FreeNAS ticket is private and hasn't gone anywhere because we are pretty sure it is a FreeBSD/hardware issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezra

Contributor
So this is kind of strange, I've enabled the XMR plugin to mine crypto currency's with 8 threads running at 75% since a week and a half. Hasn't froze up on me since...

So this is kind of strange, I've enabled the XMR plugin to mine crypto currency's with 8 threads running at 75% since a week and a half. Hasn't froze up on me since...
They usually crash when idle, the issue is related to C-states, so keeping the CPU busy will prevent crashing.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Tits is a disappointing thread to discover, when I'm really hoping supermicro and ASRock start producing the 3000 embedded CPUs on itx boards in the next few months :(

Ryzen out a year now? I thought all this would be solved.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Try and chew CPU time, see if you can fix it with no idling?

Anyone solved this at amd yet? Or those phorix comments?

Look for latest bios for your board, some models already have a new option called "Power Supply Idle Control" that is supposed to fix the idle crashes.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Look for latest bios for your board, some models already have a new option called "Power Supply Idle Control" that is supposed to fix the idle crashes.
So does that basically put load on the CPU, using more power?

ezra

Contributor
No idea on what actually does, I don't have any Ryzen servers so didn't investigate further, only read it's supposed to fix the crashes.

Thanks for the info, will search for it. Meantime running the xmr plugin to mine for Monero crypto currency 16 threads at 35% priority@idle time only. Which keeps it up... only failed once past 2 weeks.

diedrichg

Wizard
What speeds and voltages is everyone running on the RAM?

diskdiddler

Wizard

wackymole

Explorer
I just completed a trial run of FreeBSD 11.1 for a whole month. It still going strong, no lockups, nothing to indicate that it has any problems like FREENAS. I can't say this is a conclusive test, because it was just idling for a whole month, but the computer has been on for 30 days straight with no problems.

I did update the BIOS and restore defaults

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
We really need total confidence and stability for something like a FreeNAS system - how are others in this thread with Ryzen systems? Update your bios, update FreeNAS and report back.

I'm kinda considering an AMD based system in 12 months for my server replacement.

wackymole

Explorer
We really need total confidence and stability for something like a FreeNAS system - how are others in this thread with Ryzen systems? Update your bios, update FreeNAS and report back.

I'm kinda considering an AMD based system in 12 months for my server replacement.

Well I would definitely stay away right now. I can work around the issues because I have other servers, but its incredibly annoying to host any business data with a random fault, even if you had a heartbeat setup.

https://community.amd.com/thread/225795
I have been tracking the issue. I might start another freenas test run when PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.2 is released..- C6
It appears to be more and more of a hardware issue with the low power savings mode.

--WM

ezra

Contributor
Updated to newest Asrock bios but it only got worse. every day instead of weekly/2weekish.
Is there a USB watchdog that reboots the server if it hangs that anyone know of that is compatible with freenas?

diedrichg

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.