Another *sigh* 10gb network speed thread

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I sure appreceate your time. I have been fighting Windows permissions today and have spent more time reading than doing.

The problem in this industry is that as you get to know more, you find yourself reading/researching/learning more and more and actually doing less and less, though the things you tend to end up doing are often substantially more powerful magic.

With iocage it may be different, but I tried physically separate interfaces under warden jails and it created some problems for me.

A lot of that works into the set of issues I discuss on the "multiple interfaces with a single subnet" post. The networking layer's flexibility is pretty amazing when you consider all the things that it is asked to do... but that comes at a bit of a cost.

Mlovelace

Guru
The problem in this industry is that as you get to know more, you find yourself reading/researching/learning more and more and actually doing less and less, though the things you tend to end up doing are often substantially more powerful magic.
This is going to be my new default email signature in all communications with my boss! Thanks jgreco ;)

ViciousXUSMC

Dabbler
My issue is resolved.

I solved it without any hardware changes or configuration changes on the ESXi host globally.
I added two new vNIC's to my FreenasVM (Still using VMX3 I would not use E1000) and went to my jails.
Disabled VNET and assigned one of the new network interfaces directly to the jail.

Pushing about 8-9gb/s and that is without any jumbo frames, or tuning tweaks.

It also lets me turn off promiscuous mode and forged transmits on my vSwitch, so while I do not see a difference in speed I like the extra security.
It also seems to have made the jails much more snappy, so this was a big win for me.

I already created a VM for Plex so now to decide if I want to keep it as a VM or turn the jail back on, as I bet this same tweak fixes my issue I had with that jail as well.

Edit: It did, the slow response and dropped pings are fixed with my Plex jail, and its also much more responsive when browsing the menu's and such.
It looks like there was an issue here all along but the 1gb network was not fast enough to expose it, moving to 10gb got me to notice and figure out how to get it resolved.

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
My issue is resolved.

I solved it without any hardware changes or configuration changes on the ESXi host globally.
I added two new vNIC's to my FreenasVM (Still using VMX3 I would not use E1000) and went to my jails.
Disabled VNET and assigned one of the new network interfaces directly to the jail.

Pushing about 8-9gb/s and that is without any jumbo frames, or tuning tweaks.

It also lets me turn off promiscuous mode and forged transmits on my vSwitch, so while I do not see a difference in speed I like the extra security.
It also seems to have made the jails much more snappy, so this was a big win for me.

I already created a VM for Plex so now to decide if I want to keep it as a VM or turn the jail back on, as I bet this same tweak fixes my issue I had with that jail as well.
Glad to hear it!

I've found that Plex works very well in its own smallish ESXi-hosted Linux VM, and you can mount FreeNAS-based storage for the media files, which gives you all the advantages of hosting your data on FreeNAS. A win-win! But the jail-based solution is probably just fine, too.

ViciousXUSMC

Dabbler
Glad to hear it!

I've found that Plex works very well in its own smallish ESXi-hosted Linux VM, and you can mount FreeNAS-based storage for the media files, which gives you all the advantages of hosting your data on FreeNAS. A win-win! But the jail-based solution is probably just fine, too.

Yes I like the FreeNAS Jail so I can directly mount the storage without the overhead and security leak of a share protocol. I can lock the media up with streaming as the only way to get to it rather than share access.

I went ahead and mounted it via a share for now, it "feels" faster in the jail but I am not sure that is placebo or truth. I also like when its a Jail it has basically unlimited space to grow, my VM has a fixed size since I provision my drives pretty strict, its also one less thing to manage.

Both have advantages though, and I even though about playing with Docker a bit.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That reminds me of a poster one of my coworker has in his cubicle:
1547703298950.png