SOLVED all iocage jails corrupt 11.2U7 -> 11.3

runeazn

Dabbler
I just updated my freenas from 11.2U7 to 11.3RELEASE but then I noticed that all my jails are gone in the GUI.
Then I ssh'd to my box and ran iocage list and saw that all of them are corrupt, is this something that always happens when you update to a differerent version? 11.X -> 11.Y. I did not make a snapshot before updating, as I did not expect this minor update to corrupt everything. I have not yet updated my ZFS pool yet so does this mean I can still rollback to 11.2U7 which possibly fixes my jails?

runeazn

Dabbler
I reverted to 11.2U7 and activated 11.3RELEASE once more and the jails became uncorrupted. So it can be seen as solved.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
is this something that always happens when you update to a differerent version?
No

I can still rollback to 11.2U7 which possibly fixes my jails?
The old boot environment should still be on your boot drive, so booting to it will be a quick way to find out.

It is something that's very odd and should not happen. You are correct in noting that running snapshots before an upgrade is not a silly thing to do (even if it shouldn't be necessary).

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

scansterz

Dabbler
HI, this thread says "Solved"... I'm wondering what is solved?
I upgraded to 11.3 and all my jails disappeared.
No joy.
I found no way of restoring them or activating them.
I choose to reboot back into FreeNAS-11.2-U7 and when I use the legacy interface they are there.
How can I upgrade to 11.3 and keep my current jails?
-Scan

--ADDING: I did reactivate 11.3 and rebooted into it. NO JOY. NO jails. So that little trick is not working.

Last edited:

hertzsae

Contributor
scansterz,
Q - "How can I upgrade to 11.3 and keep my current jails?"
A - You can't

I see you mention using the legacy interface. That indicates to me that you have warden jails that were likely created before you were on 11.2. Iocage was introduced in 11.2 to manage jails. Warden is removed in 11.3. Version 11.2 is the only version that has both warden and iocage. Therefore, you need to convert your jails from warden to iocage while on 11.2. I'm not an expert in converting, but there is plenty of information in freenas documentation and on the forums for the warden to iocage conversion.

runeazn

Dabbler
scansterz,

I remade all my warden jails into iocage.
I have no clue how to upgrade them.

But my issue was after upgrading to 11.3 all my jails become corrupted and were not visible in the modern ui.
My trick solved an iocage jail issue, if you are running warden jails this trick will not work.