Jails missing but not... how do I get them back?

ninjai

Explorer
I recently began doing snapshot replication to a secondary local pool and it broke my jails.

Code:
@freenas ~]$ ls /mnt
FreeNAS-Backup  iocage          md_size         Storage
[@freenas ~]$ ls /mnt/iocage/jails
[@freenas ~]$ mount | grep Storage/iocage
Storage/iocage on /mnt/iocage (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Storage/iocage/download on /mnt/iocage/download (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Storage/iocage/download/11.1-RELEASE on /mnt/iocage/download/11.1-RELEASE (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Storage/iocage/download/11.2-RELEASE on /mnt/iocage/download/11.2-RELEASE (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Storage/iocage/images on /mnt/iocage/images (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Storage/iocage/jails on /mnt/iocage/jails (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Storage/iocage/jails/backup-server on /mnt/iocage/jails/backup-server (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
Storage/iocage/jails/backup-server/root on /mnt/iocage/jails/backup-server/root (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)

This is correct and how it's supposed to be. Randomly this morning the pool had switched by itself to my secondary pool so all the lines above were showing FreeNAS-Backup/iocage, etc.

I reboot and it did nothing. I went to "Jails" in the GUI and activated FreeNAS-Backup as the jail pool, then activated Storage again. My jails re-appear but all say "Corrupt". Like this:

Code:
ocage list
unifi_controller_1 is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.
wiki is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.
backup-server is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.
nextcloud is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.
dns_1 is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.
pms is missing it's configuration, please destroy this jail and recreate it.

+-----+--------------------+---------+---------+-----+
| JID |        NAME        |  STATE  | RELEASE | IP4 |
+=====+====================+=========+=========+=====+
| -   | backup-server      | CORRUPT | N/A     | N/A |
| -   | dns_1              | CORRUPT | N/A     | N/A |
| -   | nextcloud          | CORRUPT | N/A     | N/A |
| -   | pms                | CORRUPT | N/A     | N/A |
| -   | unifi_controller_1 | CORRUPT | N/A     | N/A |
| -   | wiki               | CORRUPT | N/A     | N/A |

If I use the GUI to browse to jails and look in the iocage dataset, I see the data there:
1556237462148.png

I have no idea how iocage is mounted at the low level or how to even see if my jails are still there. Not sure how this happened either. Any guidance in troubleshooting...?

EDIT:
with zfs list I can even see the old data. Something is funky about the mounting process and I have no idea what it is or how to troublshoot it since iocage jails seem to be mysteriously mounted on /mnt/iocage instead of where the dataset shows inside of the GUI: Storage/iocage

Code:
[steve@freenas /mnt/iocage]$ zfs list | grep jails
FreeNAS-Backup/iocage/jails                                  304K  3.43T    88K  /mnt/iocage/jails
FreeNAS-Backup/iocage/jails/pms                              216K  3.43T    96K  /mnt/iocage/jails/pms
Storage/iocage/jails                                        36.0G  2.40T   208K  /mnt/iocage/jails
Storage/iocage/jails/backup-server                          1.09G  2.40T   208K  /mnt/iocage/jails/backup-server
Storage/iocage/jails/backup-server/root                     1.09G  2.40T  2.42G  /mnt/iocage/jails/backup-server/root
Storage/iocage/jails/dns_1                                   204M  2.40T   184K  /mnt/iocage/jails/dns_1
Storage/iocage/jails/dns_1/root                              203M  2.40T  1.52G  /mnt/iocage/jails/dns_1/root
Storage/iocage/jails/nextcloud                              1.70G  2.40T   192K  /mnt/iocage/jails/nextcloud
Storage/iocage/jails/nextcloud/root                         1.70G  2.40T  2.92G  /mnt/iocage/jails/nextcloud/root
Storage/iocage/jails/pms                                    3.82G  2.40T   192K  /mnt/iocage/jails/pms
Storage/iocage/jails/pms/root                               3.82G  2.40T  4.94G  /mnt/iocage/jails/pms/root
Storage/iocage/jails/transmission_1                         5.59G  2.40T   192K  /mnt/iocage/jails/transmission_1
Storage/iocage/jails/unifi_controller_1                     7.96G  2.40T   184K  /mnt/iocage/jails/unifi_controller_1
Storage/iocage/jails/unifi_controller_1/root                7.96G  2.40T  7.48G  /mnt/iocage/jails/unifi_controller_1/root
Storage/iocage/jails/wiki                                   5.13G  2.40T   184K  /mnt/iocage/jails/wiki
Storage/iocage/jails/wiki/root                              5.13G  2.40T  4.70G  /mnt/iocage/jails/wiki/root

Last edited:

ninjai

Explorer
I have an update. Despite trying to move which pool the iocage mounting resided on, I decided to shut down the NAS, unplug my external hard drive (FreeNAS-Backup pool), and voila.... upon boot up I see my jails are no longer corrupt and the data is there.

Did this happen because I replicated my iocage dataset there? If so, how else am I supposed to back up iocage jails?

A dataset is not the same as a mountpoint. After replication, both the original dataset Storage/iocage and the replicated dataset FreeNAS-Backup/iocage are fighting over that same mountpoint /mnt/iocage/ and one mounted on top of the other, hence the mess.

You can prevent that it automatically mounts the backup dataset by using the -u option, e.g. zfs receive -u and set the mountpoint to none or /FreeNAS-Backup/iocage (FreeNAS adds the /mnt automatically) to prevent future mishaps. Refer to zfs(8) and zfs administration

Note that earlier versions of iocage mounted the iocage dataset in /mnt/iocage where later versions changed that to /mnt/<pool>/iocage/

sretalla