add "backup" user group to all shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosCater

Cadet
I am trying to add a "backup" group to the root of the volume (TANK) so that a backup user has access to all files in the volume.

I have created an SMB share of TANK and can see that appear in my list of shares. If I add the group backup to TANK will the backup user be able to access all current and future files added to sub directories (users home directories etc)

What would the correct setfacl command for this be? Would it need to be run with -R?

During the setting up of user home directories, I ran the following command so that each user could only see their home directory within a "Users" folder. Would adding another group break this?

setfacl -x everyone@:::allow path/to/directory

nojohnny101

Wizard
What kind of permissions do you have setup currently? Are you within an AD environment?

Need more details on your setup.

NationalJohnsO

Dabbler
Not in an AD environment

Currently a few users with access to a folder called "Users". Each user has a folder with their username within "Users" that only they can see / access (ie /Users/bob)
This was set by running setfacl -x everyone@:::allow /users/bob as root on the freenas box

nojohnny101

Wizard
I meant what type of permissions do you have setup on the dataset you are trying to share? Windows? Mac? Unix?

Have you done all your permission settings through the CLI or through Windows or through the GUI up to this point?

ChaosCater

Cadet
Windows permissions for everything apart from one NFS share. Set all permissions through the GUI apart from removing the everyone group from users home dirs which I have done through the CLI

Status
Not open for further replies.