Users/Groups not synced between Windows and FreeNas

chelby

Dabbler
So I have a strange issue. For quite some time, across multiple versions of FreeNas, I have found that the Users and Groups that are setup on the FreeNas server don't always sync up with Windows clients.

Example) A new user/group is created on FreeNas to grant access to the SMB share. Windows ACL's are in use, therefore I must grant this new user access to various directories via the Windows permissions system (Advanced Security Settings and Object Picker UI). When trying to add the new user/group Windows will not be able to locate it. When using the advanced object search window (which brings up the list of available users/groups) this list is often extremely out of date and missing newly added users/groups. I have no way of forcing an update to sync with the server as far as I am aware.

When not being able to add the user to the ACL on the Windows end, I try using the setfacl command on the server side to manually add the user/group to the directories access control list. Sometimes this works, sometimes it goes horribly wrong. The group I am trying to add to a directory ACL right now is acting extremely strangely. I am able to add the group to the directory via setfacl on the server, but when I go into Windows to verify that it has been added, it shows up as a non-existent user, not even a group. So I am completely stumped. I believe this is a directory synchronization issue between the client and the server somewhere, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:

There is no Active Directory server or any other directory server in use, just FYI.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

If you're not using a directory service, how will they sync? Do the same usernames exist in both FreeNAS and Windows?