adaptec 5805 RAID 6 death

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyth0n

Cadet
Hey all, so this isn't exactly freeness related, but raid related none the less.
I have a windows 7 box with an adaptec 5805 running 8 1.5TB drives in RAID 6.
I also have an 8 drive RAID Z2 freeness populated with 3TB disks.

The problem is on my windows box i have a drive that has smart errors and is currently in "rebuilding" state.
and another disk that is labeled "Inconsistent". which from what i can tell that drive has dropped out but is still being detected during boot. Its weird to me that it is rebuilding a drive that is essentially bad.

My question is should i disconnect those 2 disks, not populate new ones, and just copy everything over to my freenas box or buy 2 new drives let it rebuild, then copy everything over.

my end goal is to copy everything to the freenas box from the windows box and then move those drives over to the freenas as well.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's a bit late for this, but the safer option might be to copy the data over to FreeNAS and then rebuild if necessary.

pyth0n

Cadet
Not too late, I haven't taken any action yet. Turned off my windows box for now until I decide how to proceed. It has 8TB of data on it. So you think the best option is to copy it all to the freenas rather than risk another drive failing during rebuild

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not too late, I haven't taken any action yet. Turned off my windows box for now until I decide how to proceed. It has 8TB of data on it. So you think the best option is to copy it all to the freenas rather than risk another drive failing during rebuild

Assuming the FreeNAS server is properly setup and burned in, yeah. Definitely start with the most important stuff first.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The rebuild is going to take a LOT of work. More work than would be necessary to copy the data off.

I'm not a fan of hardware RAID anymore now that I've had the taste of ZFS. :P

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The rebuild is going to take a LOT of work. More work than would be necessary to copy the data off.

I'm not a fan of hardware RAID anymore now that I've had the taste of ZFS. :p

That's what my intuition suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.