Adaptec RAID 5805 Problem

I am trying to get FreeNAS to work with my Adaptec RAID 5805 2244300-R card. Everything works well when I put Debian on the machine but FreeNAS (or any *BSD) will not work.

I have tried loading the driver as specified in http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=aac with the aac_load="YES" line added to loader.conf and even tried loading it with kldload and neither option works, kldload gives a device not found error.

Since the card works just fine under Linux I have ruled out any problem with the card itself and that pretty much leaves a BSD driver problem and the documentation says it is supported. I just can't get it to work.

Much thanks to any help that you can provide.

Jason

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You search the forums at all? If you did you'd know that Adaptecs are NOT compatible with FreeNAS/ZFS. You need to read our stickies and see what other controller you should use instead. ;)

You search the forums at all? If you did you'd know that Adaptecs are NOT compatible with FreeNAS/ZFS. You need to read our stickies and see what other controller you should use instead. ;)

Is thi still true with 11.2? The Adaptec 5805 is listed in the "compatible hardware" on the main website, but I can not get aac_load="YES" to work in /boot/loader.config and when I do a "fine" the aac libraries appear to be on the filesystem.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should not being using a raid card with zfs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Especially Adaptec. Seriously, don't waste your time with them, you wouldn't be the first to try. Literally nobody has ever reported a vaguely-positive experience using them with FreeNAS.