AD Users and Local Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
I am running FreeNAS 9.3 and have AD setup and connected to our 2008R2 DC. I can login and see shares and write files, etc just fine from our office network.

We have two networks in our office, one for office PC's and the other for customers PC's. The NAS is connected to both networks for backup purposes, we backup client PC's to NAS, then NAS shares get backed up to tape.

The problem I am having is when I try to login to the NAS via the client side I can't authenticate because obviously the client PC is not a domain user, but I can browse the shares and see files/folders. Just can't create anything. I setup a generic user(x) and group(customer), but I am not sure how to set the dataset permission for a share to allow both, or if its even possible. I did some playing around with the "other" permissions but wasn't able to achieve my goal. Is there a way or a better way of accomplishing this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am running FreeNAS 9.3 and have AD setup and connected to our 2008R2 DC. I can login and see shares and write files, etc just fine from our office network.

We have two networks in our office, one for office PC's and the other for customers PC's. The NAS is connected to both networks for backup purposes, we backup client PC's to NAS, then NAS shares get backed up to tape.

The problem I am having is when I try to login to the NAS via the client side I can't authenticate because obviously the client PC is not a domain user, but I can browse the shares and see files/folders. Just can't create anything. I setup a generic user(x) and group(customer), but I am not sure how to set the dataset permission for a share to allow both, or if its even possible. I did some playing around with the "other" permissions but wasn't able to achieve my goal. Is there a way or a better way of accomplishing this?
What do you mean by the 'other' permissions? FreeNAS uses acls for samba shares. You should be using Windows file explorer to set permissions.

Post following:
  1. Hardware specs
  2. Contents of /etc/local/smb4.conf
  3. 'getfacl' output for shares
  4. Output of 'pdbedit -L'
  5. Output of 'getent passwd'
  6. Output of 'getent group'
  7. Relevant entries in /var/log/samba4/{log.smbd, log.nmbd, log.wb-<hostname>}
Enclose the above in [ code ] tags as separate items.

wayne_sw

Dabbler
I figured it out, should not all day and late night try to figure things out. I was forgetting to to use "workgroup\x" when connecting on the non-domain pc. Windows and its trickery was using the default of "nasname\x".

Thanks anodos

Status
Not open for further replies.