9.X Folder access - Yes,Web GUI- Yes, Internet in Jail - Yes, Media Server - not available(miniDLNA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavenhated

Dabbler
Hi All,

Firstly this may not be a freenas error and its something related to how i am configuring the system. Here are the details

Installation:- While installing the freenas and starting for the first time, i had the NAS box connected to my ISP modem/Router. This automatically create a DNS LAN host entry in the modem with ip automatically populated.

re0 NIC is not set up manually nor i have created any interface connection. This is automatically created as i ran the freenas 9.1.1 for the first time. New install by the way.

2) Installed the MiniDLNA plugin by selecting from the drop down.

Post installation, i went into the jail in shell and created a folder called media under usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MMedia

jail for the MiniDLNA is running successfully and storage is done as follows.

Source - /mnt/Server**/Mediafile(with folders as well)
Destination - usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MMedia(inside Jail)

Verified the mount in shell(inside the jail) as i did a LS on MMedia, i am able to see the files inside the Jail folder.

MiniDLNA is running fine.

The Nas box is connected to my router/modem directly via ethernet cables. And my systems are able to access the server folder shared via cifs.

Issue:-
From any PC connected in the WIFI i am able to access the CIFS folders, the web GUI and the jail can also access internet. I am able to see the list of PBI files for installation and verified internet access inside shell.

1) The server is never loading into any DLNA client connect to the same wifi the server is connected**(While able to access folders).

Attaching few set up pictures for help.

Issue 2)

The server is loading in DLNA clients if i connect the NAS directly via ethernet to the device. Like a tv. Or like to an access point or switch.

Ultimately i can do only one of the things, either have the NAS with no Internet access but media server or no Media server but internet and wifi access to the server.

Note:- If i create an interface manually re0 and give an ip within the same subnet, the media server works but NAS cannot access internet nor can it get transmitted via wifi way like above.

Need some network expert to say what i am doing wrong. I need the nas to be accessed directly as folders as well as media server.

Please do suggest some steps to fix this issue.

Thanks
S.V

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 337
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 309

Billyf

Dabbler
I have exactly the same issue (I think)

I was previously using MiniDLNA on FreeNAS version 8.3.x and had installed it using the old jail method/PBI and it work fantastically. Since upgrading to FreeNAS 9.1.1 and installing MiniDLNA under the new jail system I have been unable to access it using clients reliably.

As has been stated above if I use a client that is hard wired to the network the MiniDLNA server is visible (although it drops in and out every now and again) but if I try to connect to the server using a wireless client (phone etc) the MiniDLNA server does not show (it has once or twice but its flaky at best).

I have read quite a bit into this and at first expected there to be an issue with my router and wireless isolation,but the router is fine, also it worked under the previous FreeNAS version and PBI.

Any ideas?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
When you create a static IP you also need to make sure it has a default gateway and proper DNS servers configured. Your router IP should work for both of those things.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Billyf

Dabbler
IPV4 Default Gateway and Nameserver 1 are correct and the same on the Global Configuration tab of the network settings?

That would not explain why it shows up on wired network clients and only intermittently on wireless?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why is everyone jumping on the 'me too' wagon today? Create your own thread.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Create my own thread with the same title? Random?

How is it random? What you have described is not what the OP described. You say its sporadic when wired and doesnt show up when wireless....That is nothing like the OP

The OP says that if they wire their NAS directly to a DLNA device, it works.

So how are you and he sharing the same issue?

heavenhated

Dabbler
Update:-

I gave the default gateway as my router/modem address (IP) in the jail. Even that does not work.

Problem that i didnt check but appears now:-
When directly connecting the freenas with my DLNA client(my TV) the server is displayed but no files or folders are displayed. I have mapped my media files and i can see the files inside the jail in the folder i created and i mapped in jail set up. That folder has one mp3 file and this folder is not loading (though server loads)

Here are some more pictures with my TV and Mobile which shows that server connects directly. In Wifi TV does not have server connection. The phone is able to access the folders, GUI but not the server.

I am going to try 8.3.1 later tonight to see if i can fix the DLNA issue as i need DLNA so those TB's of media files can be directly viewed in my TV.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 313
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 315
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 326
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 305
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 297
  • Screenshot_2013-09-10-07-07-45.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-10-07-07-45.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 295
  • Screenshot_2013-09-10-07-09-00.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-10-07-09-00.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Screenshot_2013-09-10-07-10-50.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-10-07-10-50.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 311

Billyf

Dabbler
Try creating folders for music, movies, photos etc inside the /media folder (in the jail) then map the jail storage to those folders.

Just use /media as the folder for MiniDLNA to scan, there could be some permissions issues using a media folder inside the /usr/pbi directory tree.

This should solve your problem with seeing files on a hard wired clients (your TV).

It still does not fix the issue with wireless which I also have.

heavenhated

Dabbler
Team NAS, I created a bug ticket to see if that gets some help for me. Love NAS, just need the MiniDLNA to work :)

Issue #3137 created.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sigh.. your ticket is going to be closed. Bug reports are for bugs, and you haven't proven you have a bug. You've only proven that something doesn't work for you. But there's no way to determine if its working as designed, its broken, or its user error.

Is your wifi on a different subnet from the wired LAN?

Billyf

Dabbler
Regarding your ability to see files on your wired clients, did you try what I suggested above, using a directory outside of the /usr/pbi directory tree to map to jail storage? It's likely you have permission issues?

heavenhated

Dabbler
Hi Billyf,

I was able to check that settings and create a directory inside media to test the same. I think i am able to view the files. Unlike the previous versions do we have to mount the sub directories individually. I remember the previous versions i just mounted the root directory and was able to browse the sub directories and files inside the server. Anyway thats the last of my concern at this point.

I think i found what the problem could be but dont know how to fix it.

In the Jail/shell i find something strange and this is the issue i need to fix. I am not a network expert but i do hope someone here can help me.
In epair0a there are no IP and the subnet is completely different to my gateway or wireless subnet.

Check the attached file. This happens when i connect it via wireless. Even in the network stats an interface with 0.0.0.0/8 is created instead of the jail ip and required subnet.

I have the jail configuration and jail ip set up attached in the first post. Is there something amiss that i need to check and clear. I will connect from home and get required logs for someone to diagnose and help.

And my first search around this took me to this thread

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/network-jail-ip-not-available.7889/

@Cyberjock - I think the ticket should be closed only. Its more of user error on configuring at this point i guess. I hope its an easy fix.

S.Vivek

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 290

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
you should remove your jail and start over....

i dont know what that epair is for, you shouldnt have it (at least i dont with the miniDLNA plugin running), but you also shouldnt be allowing your jail to dish out IP addresses from your entire subnet. you are likely to have an IP address conflict at some point.

you need to get your network configs under control first, then worry about setting up your dlna

heavenhated

Dabbler
@Pirateghost,

epair0a is created when the jail runs. Its where one can find the jail ip.

One thing i will check is if the jail is trying to get an IP from the DHCP and the DHCP is not providing the same(or in other words) the modem/router is not providing an IP.

Should i remove the default gateway i set up in the Jail configuration and allow the jail to find a IP?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You have a jail misconfiguration. Delete the jail and start again. Your router should not be handling the dhcp handout of the jails if I remember correctly. Your jail configuration should determine the IP addressing. You most definitely should not overlap your LAN dhcp zone. If your router happens to handout an IP address that is the same as a jail IP you will have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.