9.2.7 to 9.3 install- no drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupiddave

Cadet
I have attempted to upgrade my Freenas to 9.3, but now cannot see any drives (or volumes) in the GUI or shell!

Hardware: HP Prolient Micro server 40L 1.5GHZ AMD
boot device: Sandisk 16GB USB
Memory: 16GB
HDD: 4 (750GB) ZFS X raided

I am in a major panic, as i have no access to any drive/volume/data. I am comforted slightly by the fact that the actual data on HDD might be still fine.

I tried installing 9.3 GUI update through the firmware update utility on my 9.2.7 version.
This errored out, so I tried a complete clean 9.3 install from boot USB using Win disk Imager created my Windows machine.
This install worked fine but alas have no drives.
GRUB loader only shows current 9.3 install.

PLease help! I am pannicing as i might have lost all my data (stupidly not backed up!!!!)
Anyone's help will be much appreciated!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Does "camcontrol devlist" from the command line show disks?

Did you try to import the pool?

stupiddave

Cadet
Impressive speed of response!
I haven't tried the 'camcontrol devlist' command yet, I will try this tonight..
Cant import the pool as no physical disks or actually showing...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Let us know the output of the camcontrol command. If it shows your disks, that's one thing, and if not, then that's a different set of problems. I've got an N36L around here somewhere that I could probably test 9.3 on.

stupiddave

Cadet
This command only shows me the SanDisk USB boot drive.

camcontrol devlist
<SanDisk Cruzer Blade 1.26> at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)

any other ideas please?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well then the good news is that you can probably roll back to your old FreeNAS and it's likely to just work again. There may be a driver issue of some sort preventing the disks from being recognized. Can you give that a shot? If your disks suddenly show up, then I'll see if I can reproduce this on an N36L and we can file a bug report.

stupiddave

Cadet
I have tried rolling back to the previous 9.2.x but strangely the install will not run..
The error states that a 'previous version cannot be installed'. I find this so difficult to get my head around!?!?!?
I have even reformatted the USB drive and tried to install a fresh copy so I don't see how the system gets this information!?!?!?

stupiddave

Cadet
I have remote access to the GUI if you want a poke around, unfortunately there is nothing really to break!!!! :smile:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try it on a new USB stick. It sounds like it managed to upgrade your configuration file or something like that, and it won't want to roll back.

stupiddave

Cadet
Issue resolved! I took the server to pieces and physically rebuilt it.
All the drives appeared on boot...probably a bad controller connection or something.

A massive thanks for your time anyway.

Regards,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.