9.3 directly on USB without installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

seibax

Dabbler
Hi,

i used 9.2.x fine all days on my Kingston USB Stick, i tried to upgrade 9.3 but it didnt work out...

how can I install / write an image to my USB stick to use all my HDDs as storage and not to lose one HDD as installed HDD??

Is this possible with 9.3 ?

Thanks in advance,

greetings seibaX

D

dlavigne

Nope, 9.3 needs to do an install so it can format the boot device(s) with ZFS. You can however point the installer to a USB stick that meets the 9.3 hardware requirements. See doc.freenas.org/9.3 for details.

seibax

Dabbler
i've got 3x2 TB and 500 GB HDD, when i install on 500 GB hdd, can i use the 499 rest GB for storage???

D

dlavigne

You can install the OS on the 500GB hard drive, but it will only hold the OS and its boot environments. In other words, it won't be available for storage.

seibax

Dabbler
ok thank you very much for info, i am installing now from a 2nd stick to my Kingston Rubber DT 16GB stick, we will see what will happen... btw: upgrading was a big big mess,....
i hope my zfs sets will import correctly and i must reconfigure the jails again..will keep updated, thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you saved your config from 9.2, you won't need to reconfigure anything--just upload the saved config file to the 9.3 web GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.