2X8TB or 3X4TB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yds

Cadet
Going to building a new FreeNas box to replace an OMV build that is running out of storage room (and under-powered for the additional load I would like to add - namely PlexServer). My OMV install has 6x2TB drives in a RAID10 setup, and I'm currently at about 75% capacity. Storage is used for media (movies and TV) files almost exclusively. I have automated backups nightly with rsync to another box.

For my Freenas build, wondering whether to go with 2x8TB disks in RAID1 setup or with 3x4TB disks in a RAIDZ1 setup. If I understand correctly, both options will give me the same usable storage (just over 7TB). At current pricing, the 3x4TB disks would be about $150 cheaper than the 2x8TB. But the 2x8TB option should use less power (though it would probably take a while to make up the price difference) and a simpler (?) setup.

Is there a good reason, other than price, to go one way or the other?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Raid z1 should be avoided almost always. Mirrors or raidz2 are best. There is no such thing as raid1 with zfs.

melloa

Wizard
and considering above from @SweetAndLow, if going raidz2, I'd go with five+ disks. The size of the disks would depend on the final available space you'd need. See resources tab for calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.