Finally ordered my parts-amd rack build

physwm2501

Cadet
  • Motherboard/case/psu-1U4LW-X470- decided to spend the extra money to get the asrock barebones system
  • CPU-AMD 3600X
  • RAM- 2x 16gb Kingston KSM26ED8/16ME
  • OS Drive- WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280
  • Storage- have 4 hot swap bays. Thinking of either going 2x8tb in a mirror with plans to add another 2x8tb by the end of the year or run 4x4tb in raidz1. Everything important that will be stored is already backed up in multiple locations. More concerned about speed and performance as this is the primary location to access the files. Everything else is slow to get at.
Current planned uses. in order of priority

1. Camera storage-thinking zoneminder
  2. Plex server
  3. Game servers- minecraft etc
  4. Siacoin host
  5. personal storage
Mostly curious what I should run for storage as that's the only thing I haven't added yet. Will be adding a 10GB adapter by the end of the year to go with my LAN hardware upgrades.

Added a picture of the complete system, really happy with the asrock barebones kit even if it did cost a bit more. On startup it really howls but system noise is fine under general use so far.

PXL_20200912_034444036.jpg

Last edited:

physwm2501

Cadet
Also ordered a pair of Western Digital 8TB Ultrastar DC HC320. They were about $35 cheaper a drive compared with red’s or IronWolf drives. From what I can find these are as good or better then those drives.

pschatz100

Guru
Keep an eye on your temps. The Ultrastar DC HC320 will likely run hotter than WD Red's as they are 7200RPM drives.

Also, a 500GB drive for the OS is much larger than you need.

joeschmuck

Old Man

physwm2501

Cadet
Keep an eye on your temps. The Ultrastar DC HC320 will likely run hotter than WD Red's as they are 7200RPM drives.

Also, a 500GB drive for the OS is much larger than you need.
Was planning to go with the Red's but the ultrastar drives were $50 cheaper. Looks like the max temp those drives are hitting is 35C vs 25C for my ssd. Figured this is an acceptable temp but what temp ceiling should I be looking for? System currently purrs so I can dive into the settings and increase the fan curve if needed.

was looking at a 32GB satadom for the OS but this was double the cost of the wd blue. Is there any downside to more space aside from it being a complete waste?

physwm2501

Cadet
Wow! When I read this I figured you were going to build an VM (ESXi) machine. It's a bit large for a boot drive for FreeNAS, but if you build an ESXi system then it will not be wasted.

As @pschatz100 said, they run hotter. It's a good thing you bought a rack system that will have very good (but loud) air flow.

I may in the future, but for now am just going to see how far I can stretch the capability of the freenas environment. I figure boredom may kick in 6 months from now and I might try something a bit more advanced.

Quite happy with my temps so far. Keeping my cpu between 30-40C.

pschatz100

Guru
Was planning to go with the Red's but the ultrastar drives were $50 cheaper. Looks like the max temp those drives are hitting is 35C vs 25C for my ssd. Figured this is an acceptable temp but what temp ceiling should I be looking for? System currently purrs so I can dive into the settings and increase the fan curve if needed.

was looking at a 32GB satadom for the OS but this was double the cost of the wd blue. Is there any downside to more space aside from it being a complete waste?
35C for the drives is fine. As for the very large boot disk... I wouldn't call it a complete waste because the extra space will help with Trim issues. It's just that 500Gb is way more than you need. Most people are buying 60 to 120Gb SSD's for boot drives. I have a 120Gb SSD for boot.

av12334

Cadet
Hi,

I am thinking of buying the same barebone server, did you measure the power consumption while in idle?