Threadripper SSD Storage Server Build

JKlingel

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I want to build a storage server for serving large video files to multiple windows editing workstations at once. We are currently using a HDD-based server wich has trouble serving multiple PCs at once, wich is why I am planning on having a high speed SSD-only pool for current projects and a HDD pool for older projects.
After reading multiple hardware guides, this is the system I came up with:

CPU: AMD 1900X
Motherboard: Asus X399-A (since the Asrock Rack X399D8A-2T is yet to be released)
RAM: 2x Kingston 16GB 2666 ECC (KSM26ED8/16ME) for a total of 32GB (for now)
SSDs: 8x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
HDDs: 6x WD RED 10TB
NIC: Intel XL710QDA1BLK XL710-QDA1 (with a 40G QSFP+ to 4x10G SFP+ cable)
OS Drive: Transcend 64GB SATA m.2 Drive (MTS800S)
Add-in Cards: 2x Asus Hyper M.2 x16 (4x m.2 PCIe Card)
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME Platinum 850W

I'm going with Threadripper for native ECC support and its 64 PCIe lanes, as that's how the SSDs are going to be connected.

For the highest speed and the most usable space, I want to configure the SSD pool in a RAID0 array and mirror all its data to the HDD pool configured in RAIDZ2. Therefor, if I lose the integrity of my SSD pool, I should still have all my data in the HDD pool. I've got a few questions I couldn't find answers too:
- Is there an built-in way of syncing the pools? Maybe by creating very regular snapshots of the SSD pool and transferring them to the HDD pool?
- For the highest throughput and IOPS, should I go with hardware raid with the SSD pool, or can I just stripe them in FreeNAS?

Ideally, i'd like to have a one-way mirror from the SSD pool to the HDD pool, so I can just delete projects from the fast storage, while they still remain available in the slow storage. If it's a terrible idea to stripe the SSD pool, I could settle on a RAIDZ1, however the added capacity and performance of RAID0 would be very beneficial.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious, this is my first server build. I do highly appreciate any input on the configuration. Thank you very much in advance!

sretalla