AMD mini-ITX Budget Home build

lerignoux

Cadet
Hello

I want to build a small True NAS system for my home with the following ideals:
* Not too expensive, energy friendly
* Run True NAS with, for now, Emby and a few docker containers.
* AMD build (to avoid Intel ME)
* Small (I like the Fractal Node 304 Case)
* "recycle" some components I have (HDD + nvme)

After searching recommendations, posts ... (thanks a lot to the community and for the Hardware guide by the way !)
I ended up on the following build that seems to match my needs. I am just afraid that I may have missed something important to build a good NAS.

Build:
Case
: Fractal Design Node 304 (-> mini ITX)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac
CPU: AMD Ryzen r5 3600 (Should support ECC it seems not sure if all of them do or if I need to check something more specific)
RAM: 16G Kingston DDR4 2666 ECC
Power: CoolerMaster 450W GX450 (80PLUS)
Disks: 2* 4Tb WD Red HDD (I already have one)
System Disk: recycling a 256 GB nvme SSD I have

Does anybody see any mistake I could have made or issues with such a build or some places where I could save some money ?

PS: sorry I don't have vendors links, I am in china and only have JingDong Links which I guessed would be more a hindrance if I added them
PPS: I will try to put some feedback once done in case it could be useful for someone else having similar requirements.
PPPS: Happy new year of the Cow :)

Arvatarox

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Docker will not work in TrueNAS

Arwen

MVP
Yes, you can add a Linux VM, (Rancher appears to be popular), which then runs Docker.

lerignoux

Cadet
In case anybody was interested, the build works perfectly, I just had to adda basic graphic card (for the system install part).
I chose a simple GT710

ThreeDee

Guru
I just setup an AMD setup myself (sig) .. nice thing about an actual server board is that an additional graphics card is not needed. It would seem that iX systems has worked out the kinks in regards to running Ryzen setups (at least in my use case scenario)

Serenity36

Cadet
Building a small form factor machine might mean an extra hour or two dealing with cable tidying in the tight confines of a mini-ITX case, but it's definitely worth it and saves a huge amount of space. The sacrifices are, for most of us, non-existent too, as long as you only need a single PCI-E card.

Kroge
rfeedback