New to FreeNAS. Best solution for small Home NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJDK

Dabbler
Hi Forum.

Iam setting up my first FreeNAS for home use.
Backup Pictures and data.
Storage movies.
HW is HP Microserver G8
Xeon E3-1265L V2 16GB ram
There is room for 4 disks
Disks:
2X WD Red NAS 8TB
1X WD Red NAS 5TB
I can't afford more drives right now, but still possibility to upgrade later would be great.

Should I just put the 2x8 TB in one Vdev running mirror and 5 TB in another vdev for non important data?

Or Should I Stripe the 2X8TB and get 16GB now and backup important data to the 5GB in separate VDev
And in the hopefully near future buy 2X8 TB more and make a vdev with them in stripe.
And then join them in one Zpool in mirror.
Is this possible and a good solution?

Or perhaps put them all in one vdev in RAIDZ and getting 10TB? until I replace the 5GB with a 8TB and get 16TB?

Thanks
CJDK

Last edited by a moderator:

styno

Patron
How should we know how important your data is (and how much space you'd need)?

That being said, if it was me and the data wasn't that important, I still would not stripe.
I just can't justify the amount of time I have to spend by losing a pool to a stupid single hdd failure.

If it was me, I would sell the 8's and buy more 5's (or vice-versa) and setup a raidz2 pool.

CJDK

Dabbler
OK I see your point.
I can live with RAIDZ -allowing one disk to fail. But is it possible create a Vdev with drives of different sizes? I think I know the tradeoff will be that all disks will be seen same size as the smallest (5GB) then later swap the 5GB for a new 8TB?

styno

Patron
What are your space requirements and how many drives can your system handle?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Create a mirror with the 2 drives. Wait until you can afford more drives and extend your pool with another mirror. That is what I would do for the best storage capacity and redundcy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CJDK

Dabbler
Hi.
I end up with the 2X8Tb in mirror.
I also made some jails:
Unifi controler
Urbackup (perhaps I should go for Crashplan)
Nextcloud

Zofoor

Patron
You could also create a Raidz1 with the 3 disks and obtain 10Tb usable. Later you could upgrade the 5 TB disk to a 8Tb disk and so upgrade your space to 16 TB.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You could also create a Raidz1 with the 3 disks and obtain 10Tb usable. Later you could upgrade the 5 TB disk to a 8Tb disk and so upgrade your space to 16 TB.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Highly not recommended to run raid z1 with that large of disk. Single parity solutions have been dead for 10y.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CJDK

Dabbler
Yes.
I will sell my 5 TB disk, and wait for the 8 TB mirror getting full. Then I will look for 2 new disks. - Perhaps I get 10 TB or more at that time.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.