16GB or 32GB for home server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guermantes

Patron
Am I correct then in assuming that the 5.5 above represents those 80% of the usable storage? Or am I in for a shock in that the 80% should be calculated against the 5.5 that Chris states above?

This site http://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl gets the usable to 6.81TiB when converting from TB to TiB, and 5.5 corresponds to approx. 80% of that.

Scorm

Dabbler
Thanks for all the discussion! I think I'll go with 1x16GB then since that seems to be more readily available here in Sweden (and for the same price as 2x8GB).

Good choice. Even if dual channel is reportedly better in performance, you'll have the most options available to expand your needs later (without throwing away hardware). And the recommended RAM being at 1GB / TB of storage... you never know how much you could need in the future.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Am I correct then in assuming that the 5.5 above represents those 80% of the usable storage? Or am I in for a shock in that the 80% should be calculated against the 5.5 that Chris states above?
I just wanted you to be aware so you could plan. You will either want to buy larger drives to begin or plan to add drives later. I started my system with one vdev of 6 drives and added a second vdev with 6 more drives later.
Thanks @gpsguy, for answering the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.