New Home Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTCM

Dabbler
For a variety of reasons, it's time for me to build a new FreeNAS box. I have experience with building home PCs but this is my first server build. My current FreeNAS system is a pre-configured Dell Poweredge. Just don't ask me which raid card, cause you won't like the answer.

All I need this setup to do at the current time is store home pictures and videos with the utmost care. My wife and I are starting a family and I am committed to upgrading my equipment to record everything in 4k. Yes, I know some people don't feel that the higher resolution is worth it, but it's a choice I've made to prevent any possible regrets down the road.

In the future, I foresee the potential to want the following as well.
  • One 1080 plex transcode
  • One VM for running a small website
  • One, maybe two jails - the most likely of which is Owncloud

Case: Chenbro 48 Bay Top Loader 4U Chassis (Already own)
Board: Supermicro X11SSM-F-O
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 CT16G4WFD8213 / MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G1A1
HBA: Dell H310
Cables: 2 x SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Internal Mini SAS
Boot: 120gb SSD (I'll stick with a major brand, but I haven't chosen the exact one yet)
HDD: 8 x 4-6TB Drives in RAID-Z2 - Still looking for deals. While probably end up shucking drives if that is still the cheapest per TB.

I would upgrade the 16gb of ram when it's needed for the new services I might run. Will a i3-6100 have enough horsepower for what I might want in the future? How heavily do you recommend a UPS? Am I plain crazy or is it just my wife saying that?

A UPS is money well invested for two reasons, you keep the power on and you protect your investment. $150.00 is pretty cheap to keep a big investment of parts safe IMHO. Don't have to go all out on the size until you get more drives and such so a 1500VA will work fine. As far as crazy, sure why not. Have to have a little crazy to start thinking of an enterprise project for movies at home.

As far as more horsepower, depends on what you might want to do in the future honestly. What you are looking at will handle two streams transcoded ok but beyond that it will be anemic. But you can always upgrade later when the Xeon's that fit the board are old news and can be picked up for a song. Otherwise everything looks ok with a quick glance.

Last edited:

LTCM

Dabbler
A UPS is money well invested for two reasons, you keep the power on and you protect your investment. $150.00 is pretty cheap to keep a big investment of parts safe IMHO. Don't have to go all out on the size until you get more drives and such so a 1500VA will work fine. As far as crazy, sure why not. Have to have a little crazy to start thinking of an enterprise project for movies at home.

As far as more horsepower, depends on what you might want to do in the future honestly. What you are looking at will handle two streams transcoded ok but beyond that it will be anemic. But you can always upgrade later when the Xeon's that fit the board are old news and can be picked up for a song. Otherwise everything looks ok with a quick glance.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts. You're right of course - I'll pickup an UPS while I'm at it to be safe. Sounds like I will just stick with the i3 for now and upgrade in a couple of years if I ever need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.