147 drives - what controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a FrankenNAS with 147 drives, mostly all 3TB and 4TB HGST SATA drives. For the first 32 drives I've used 4 x Dell H200 in IT mode I've looked at higher density controllers, but the 16 and 24 port controllers get really expensive. Don't even mention a 45 Drives pod or a Backblaze Pod. I'm on a budget :)

My current motherboard is an Intel dual Xeon server board with 4 x 16x slots and 4 x 8x slots. I can set up another server, but that still only would get me to 128 drives with 8 x Dell H200/LSI HBA cards.

Any suggestions?

Stux

MVP
Sas expanders.

That makes sense. I wondered how the LSI 8 port HBA could handle 128 drives with only 8 ports.

Any suggestions on an good SAS expander?

c32767a

Patron
That makes sense. I wondered how the LSI 8 port HBA could handle 128 drives with only 8 ports.

Any suggestions on an good SAS expander?

https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847DE2C-R2K04JBOD

It even comes with a free case.. :)

With that many drives, I would strongly suggest using an integrated JBOD case to add to your main enclosure. We built a bunch of 45 Drives Storinator chassis back when they used discrete cabling.. it was a long and annoying experience. The design worked OK but it was a pain to assemble and if any of the cabling has problems, you have to disassemble most of the case to fix. (fortunately, we have had few cable problems.)

tvsjr

Guru
More importantly, that case includes a thermal management solution, which is going to be at least as big an issue as getting all the drives cabled.

Stux

MVP
https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847DE2C-R2K04JBOD

It even comes with a free case.. :)

With that many drives, I would strongly suggest using an integrated JBOD case to add to your main enclosure. We built a bunch of 45 Drives Storinator chassis back when they used discrete cabling.. it was a long and annoying experience. The design worked OK but it was a pain to assemble and if any of the cabling has problems, you have to disassemble most of the case to fix. (fortunately, we have had few cable problems.)

And IPMI :)

Cool case.

Can just imagine the lights dimming when you power it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.