Suggestions for my 45 drives build

incognito

Cadet
Hello everyone - it's be a long time since I've posted here, but alas I am back to ask for some of your expertise.

Here is the hardware config :

45 drives storinator dual 1200 watt PSU
3 x LSI Jbod controllers (15x8TB drives per controller)
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4
256GB DDR4 ECC RAM
2 x 256GB WD Black SSD
1 x Intel P3700 2TB PCIE NVME
2 x 1GB Intel LAN (on board)
2 x 10GB LAN (in PCIE slot)

The only purpose of this setup is to act as an iscsi target for a new vmware cluster I am building out, in it's pervious config it was using storage spaces and hyper-v

I'm not terribly concerned about overall storage capacity, there is a lot to work with here... performance wtih various VMs is my main goal.

Any suggestions for optimal config would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• pci2.jpg
    pci2.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 410
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 559

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
2 x 256GB WD Black S
At work, I manage one of the 60 bay XL units and I am sure that These were the boot drives. You can still use them for that in FreeNAS, but those SATA SSDs aren't fast enough to be used for the SLOG.
1 x Intel P3700 2TB PCIE NVME
That is massive Overkill for a SLOG device, but it would be fast enough.

You want to configure the pool as mirror vdevs because that provides the largest vdev count and more vdevs generally equates to more IOPS.

incognito

Cadet
At work, I manage one of the 60 bay XL units and I am sure that These were the boot drives. You can still use them for that in FreeNAS, but those SATA SSDs aren't fast enough to be used for the SLOG.

That is massive Overkill for a SLOG device, but it would be fast enough.

You want to configure the pool as mirror vdevs because that provides the largest vdev count and more vdevs generally equates to more IOPS.

Thanks for the response. What about l2arc ... any point in using the p3700 for that?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If it is iSCSI there is limited utility in L2ARC. It might be useful if you want to use NFS for the data store. NFS can benefit more from L2SRC, but it would still need SLOG for acceleration of sync write.

incognito

Cadet
Understood.

Once I have the pool created is there recommend a method of testing the local performance of the pool?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Understood.

Once I have the pool created is there recommend a method of testing the local performance of the pool?
You should explore the resources in my "Useful Links" as I think they would provide you with many of your answers.