Please help with my first build

killer1

Cadet
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a dell poweredge r510 and am wanting to purpose it as a freenas server. As the thread title states this is my first freenas build so would appreciate some feed back on what parts and configuration I should use. first off I need to purchase a raid card, from what I can gather the h200 seems to be very popular for the r510. Is there a better choice? maybe the h310 or something else with a newer chipset?

The server didnt come with any drives (or caddies...) so will need to purchase some. It will mostly be used as a simple network share. I was thinking of starting with 4 x 2tb in a raid z1 setup. It is just for home use and 6tb would be plenty of space for now and could add another 4 down the track if need be. My 2 best options for my budget here in australia are wd red WD20EFAX or seagate iron wolf ST2000VN004 the red being slightly cheaper. Would you recommend these drives or should I be looking for something else? Do you think that would be the best config for this type of system?

telgordo

Cadet
To be honest I would go with 5 and have it in raid z2, you'd still get 6tb and not get caught with your pants down over in blighty they are about £80 each, so unless you're on a really tight budget it makes more sense, the beauty of zfs is even if the hardware goes west the pool is still recoverable in most situations, so it seems to make sense to prioritise that end first

@killer1 - I have an old (unused) PowerEdge 2950 and there are two types of caddies if I remember correctly. One for SAS and one for SATA. The SATA caddies have an "interposer."

Inxsible

Guru
first off I need to purchase a raid card,
I am being pedantic, but you need a HBA not a raid card. The ones you listed are HBA cards not hardware raid cards.
seagate iron wolf
The Iron wolfs(wolves) run super hot. I have the 6TB versions and I see temps in the 43C-45C in the summer months. I am always afraid that they will die soon.