Dell R510 Server Build: Advice appreciated

djruoss

Cadet
@Darklion, since the r510 is an hold dell line of servers and they are very cheap, and since my needs are to store my personal data and media files (plex media) for my devices with a very good transfer bandwith and since I'm using new WDRED disks, and, overall, I dont want to spend too much money and giving a look at another (but not less important) requirement that is to have an enclosure where there are enough caddy spaces where, in case, faulty disks can be exchanged with new ones, the Dell R510 + PERC H200 (HBA Mode) can be a cheap and good choice as well as a Quanta STRATOS or better a SUPERMICRO that does not have any HW customization.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advices.

PS: what do you mean by:
Now I upgrade to a r910 that only accepts 2.5 drives so I am using the r510 as a enclosure for my other 3.5 drives.
I suppose that you are using the R910 as the central unit and R510 for disk: How did you manage all the needed connections and stuffs? I'm curious.

Darklion

Explorer
Well yes, this old servers are súper cheap, i got my r510 for $150 but it didn't came with disks or disk trays so I had to add another $300 just on 10 trays (so I can have 2 spares) and 8 2tb disks, plus another $200 trying to find a good option raid card and SPF optical 10gb network card, I had to buy several until I came with the right one. Then I find 2 EMC enclosures very cheap with their 2tb disks because they are format on 510 sector's and no body wants them, so I reformat then on 512 and I had another 2 enclosures with 15 2tb disks each for around $500. I thought after this I was done but I end up finding that r910 for just $275 with 120gb or ram, 4 xeons and comes with 16 bays for 2.5, I couldn't resist and spend that money lol.

So I took the ram on my r510 to end up with 184gb but then I had the problem of the disks that are 3.5 as I couldn't have in on the r910 chassis. So I came up with the idea of using the r510 as an enclosure, I just get 2 pretty long raid card cables, connect them on back plane of the r510 and in to another card that goes on a back tray like it was a raid, network or any other card but it doesn't hook to any pci socket. In the inside goes the regular cables of the back plane and the outside the cables that are use for enclosures, I did the same on the r910 but backwards, connect the cables from the r510 to the r910 and then from the inside of the r910 to a h200.

So if my calculation is a little accurate, with like $1000 I have a server with 64 cores of xeons 2.26, 184 of ram (that can go up to 512) and 38 2tb disks, 4 1200 power supplies, with a lot of room to grow even more. Is just a matter of ingenuity.

I admit that FreeNAS is being the most hardest thing I ever learned and that I still have many issues to resolve as it was a pain in the ass to learn how to setup Plex and I can't even do anything with the cloud plugin that some are even giving customized methods of doing it, I still have a lot of trouble remembering all the names that are given here to the things that are called different on linux or windows.

Right now looks like my 2 USBs for the boot pool broke and I can't seem to find a solution. Someone had told me to reinstall FreeNAS on another USBs and just import the pools, but for some reason that doesn't work for me, I go to the storage - pool - add - import but on the pop up menu it doesn't appear any pool to import even though all the disks are detected, I think I am missing something but this people over here like to think that you are a fool because you can't find something that they see so simple by your self.

I am starting to get annoyed by the arrogant way many behave over here. I am willing to give all the information needed if I have it, I am not knowledge stingy but this people here are.

djruoss

Cadet
Hi Darklion,
amazing story.

trying to find a good option raid card and SPF optical 10gb network card
About the 10Gb SFP+ cards, INTEL (as stated in the HW compatibility matrix) is the best choice if you do not have the experience to struggle with drivers and kernel; I have an Asus XGC100 (copper) and since the drivers were ported to freebsd and the card was correctly recognized, I was not able to run it properly and I didn't have the time work on it; at the end a X520-SR1 should be a good choice (and sometime also cheap on eBay) and in case a (if you do not have a lot server to connect into) MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN should be a very cheap and good SFP+ switch/router layer 3 with dual OSo_O.

Right now looks like my 2 USBs for the boot pool broke and I can't seem to find a solution. Someone had told me to reinstall FreeNAS on another USBs and just import the pools, but for some reason that doesn't work for me, I go to the storage - pool - add - import but on the pop up menu it doesn't appear any pool to import even though all the disks are detected
About importing the pools, just 1 month ago, I installed a 11.2 and created 1 pool just for testing and then I wanted to try and evaluate the 11.3 RC1.
I installed the 11.3 RC1 leaving the pool created with 11.2 there; once the installation process was finished and I was able to access to the web console, I was able to recognize the pool and to import it; take in consideration that I have the disks directly attached to the motherboard without any RAID card. So, you can try with a freenas version greater than the one you had on your degraded usb sticks, I don't love this kind of approach cause is not structured, but as for now and starting from my very little experience on freenas should be a little help and attempt to do.

Darklion

Explorer
I want to show you how I turn the r510 in to a enclosure, I had to put a 2GB ram or the server wouldn't stop beeping lol

I am still new to all this server thinks so I want to make a dumb question, I image is not possible but, do you now if there is a way to unite 2 motherboards or 2 servers? So can use the 4 processors on the r910 and the 2 on the r510.

Attachments

• 20200128_025156.jpg
    20200128_025156.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200128_025145.jpg
    20200128_025145.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 20200128_025141.jpg
    20200128_025141.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 273

Darklion

Explorer
Well, I think I found out kinda what is the problem. The FreeNAS was set to load on UEFI and it looks like the UEFI loader is at fault cuz ones I change it to BIOS then I was able to boot the CD.

Is there a way to fix this issue on the server? Or a way to change those USBs to boot on BIOS instead is UEFI?
I already updated the BIOS on my server so I have the latest BIOS from Dell.

Darklion

Explorer
Well, I think you didn't understand my question. I am talking about to change the system or FreeNAS inside the USBs, not the bios on the server. Just think, I already said that the problem was trying to boot as UEFI as the FreeNAS was setup on UEFI mode and then I change the BIOS (as I even said I upgrade it already) to boot on BIOS mode instead of UEFI and on that way I could load the CD.

I want to see if there is a way to change the FreeNAS inside the USBs to boot on BIOS mode instead of UEFI. Thank you.

Darklion

Explorer
lol, I just find out htat my last 2 messages where not mented for this tread and thats why I am not geting any answers on the other one lol.