SOLVED 0.0.0.0 - no web gui access

Hey folks - I've been working on this for a week with no joy and I am starting to lose my mind. I did not want to post about this because there are already older threads about similar issues that I have seen and digested, however none of the advice has solved my issue. I have detailed below everything I have tried so far.

Here's my problem: during boot up I get a warning that dhclient has not started. When boot up finishes I get a web gui address of http://0.0.0.0. I understand this indicates I am not getting a connection to my network and that my FreeNAS machine is not reachable. My FreeNAS machine is connected to the network through a switch that serves up ethernet across my house and these are working. I have tried switching to ports on the switch that I know are working just in case, no change. I have tried bypassing the switch and plugging directly into the router. No change.

Here's what else I have tried based on extensive reading on here:

- Replaced network cable, twice, with brand new cables. Verified working on other devices. Checked seating of cable and connections
- Replaced NIC card first with a card recycled from another system (and previously working with FreeNAS) and then when that didn't work, with a brand new NIC
- Tried manually setting up the network interface on IP4 with 192.168.86.25/24. This shows as successful and the message changes to say the web gui is accessible at that address .... but it still doesn't work
- Tried setting up the interface using DHCP
- Tried assigning a static IP to ensure it was not being caused by an IP conflict. (This seems unlikely because it's not picking up a connection at all)
- Performed a fresh install of FreeNAS 11.2 with the new NIC. Same problems
Checked BIOS setting to ensure network ports are enabled (although I have read this isn't likely an issue)

I should add that I am aware that my hardware isn't exactly top of the line server gear ... I do this as a hobby and use a simple setup in my house as a media server and file backup. It's all I need and I am confident that while not optimal this should work. I ran on worse hardware for five years with no issues.

Any thoughts on what else I could try would be much appreciated. TIA

Well, I believe I figured it out. For the benefit of those who may read this later it seems to be to do with my Google Mesh WiFi.

My setup is: ISP provided router in bridge mode, running to a switch which runs to multiple points in the house. I had the first Google Wifi node setup from one of these runs from the switch, in my office. On a hunch I switched the FreeNas machine to work directly from the ethernet port off this primary Google Wifi node and set up the interface again using DHCP. Low and behold problem solved. Not being an expert I can only presume that in this setup it was not able to see the DHCP being provided by the Google Wifi and therefore it wasn't getting an IP served to it. I am confused because other devices running off wired connections from this setup were doing fine, but there's no question this was the issue.

@Moderator please mark as solved.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Thanks ... done